Joshua D Safer, MD Email Joshua Safer
- PROFESSOR | Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Bone Disease
- Endocrine, Diabetes and Bone Diseases
- Hospital Affiliations
- New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel
- Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery 212-604-1790 212-604-1790
Joshua D. Safer, MD, FACP, FACE is the Executive Director of the Mount Sinai Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery (CTMS) and Professor of Medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
Dr. Safer was previously the founding Medical Director of the Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery at Boston Medical Center and Boston University School of Medicine. Dr. Safer earned his medical degree from the University of Wisconsin. He completed his internal medicine residency at Mount Sinai Beth Israel and his endocrinology fellowship at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
Dr. Safer was the inaugural president of the United States Professional Association for Transgender Health (USPATH). He also serves on the Global Education Initiative committee for the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and on the Standards of Care revision committee for WPATH. Dr. Safer was a co-author of the Endocrine Society guidelines for the medical care of transgender patients and has been a scientific co-chair for WPATH's international meetings. In addition, he is a past president of the Association of Specialty Professors, the umbrella organization for leaders in internal medicine subspecialty education, and a former secretary-treasurer of the national endocrinology program director organization, the Association of Program Directors in Endocrinology and Metabolism, (APDEM).
Dr. Safer’s research focus is on demonstrating the health and quality of life benefits for transgender patients from increased access to care. His current and past sources of funding support include the NIH and a number of private foundations.
In the News:
- Dr. Safer shares his thoughts on transient surgery and how him and his team are trying to share the new knowledge they obtain.
- Dr. Safer joins Katie Couric to discuss the biggest barriers that transgender face to obtain medical care.
- The Daily News shares the story of a transgender woman’s journey of beating breast cancer, with Dr. Safer weighing in on the carcinogenic dangers that implants bring.
- Dr. Safer weighs in on the court case that highlights misconceptions surrounding pediatric transgender care.
- Dr. Safer shares his opinion on the matter of sex-change operations yielding long-term mental health benefits for Transgender people.
- Dr. Safer discusses the barriers that transgender adults face when seeking gender-confirmation surgery, specifically overweight and obesity issues.
- Dr. Safer stresses the necessity of education in order to provide long-lasting meaningful change in the care for transgender individuals, with Medical Xpress and MedPage Today.
- Dr. Safer provides his experience with trans youth and the assistance of gender-affirming hormones.
American Board of Endocrinology
- Transgender Medicine
MD, University of Wisconsin
Residency, Internal Medicine
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center- Harvard Medical School
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Safer during 2019 and/or 2020. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Industry-Sponsored Lectures: MSSM faculty occasionally give lectures at events sponsored by industry, but only if the events are free of any marketing purpose
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- Endocrine Society
- Miscellaneous Teaching and Lectures at Academic Institutions
Scientific Advisory Board:
- Endo Pharmaceuticals
Service on Board of Directors: Service in a fiduciary capacity, such as an officer or director, for the following companies:
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.