Joseph W Eichenbaum, MD
- ADJUNCT ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR | Ophthalmology
- ADJUNCT ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR | Pharmacological Sciences
Over the last 20 years Dr. Eichenbaum has had extensive experience in treating complex problems involving:
- Uveitis, systemic illness and glaucoma;
- Orbital and central nervous system tumors in relationship to the eye, the sinus and the face;
- Difficult to fit contact lens issues, high astigmatism;
- Chronic recurrent dry eye, corneal, inflammatory, infection, and refraction problems;
- Ocular toxicology problems particularly related to the retina and cornea;
- Geriatric eye problems involving cataract, retina, macula, and low vision.
Clinical Elective Course, National Institutes of Health
MPH, Columbia University
- A Zebrafish Model of Retinal Degeneration Examining: genetics, aging, environment, oxidative stress, protein misfolding, inflammation, and hypoxia.
- Epidemiology of Vision Loss in Geriatric Populations
- Toxicology of Lead and heavy metals in the retina and brain
- Stroke mechanisms in the eye and brain
Eichenbaum JW. Geriatric vision loss due to cataracts, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. The Mount Sinai journal of medicine, New York 2012; 79(2): 276-294.
Eichenbaum JW, Cinaroglu A, Eichenbaum KD, Sadler KC. A zebrafish retinal graded photochemical stress model. Journal of pharmacological and toxicological methods 2009; 59(3): 121-127.
Eichenbaum KD, Mezei M, Eichenbaum JW. Comparing Dynamic Contour Tonometry to Goldman & Hand Held Tonometry in normal Ocular Hypertension & Glaucoma Patients. Annals of Ophthalmology 2007; 39(1): 41-49.
Pevsner PH, Eichenbaum JW, Miller DC, Pivawer G, Eichenbaum KD, Stern A, Zakian KL, Kouther JA. A Photothrombotic Model of Small Early Ischemic Infarcts in the Rat Brain With Histologic and MRI Correlation. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods 2001; 45: 227-233.
Eichenbaum JW, Swerdlow F. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia after reducing prednisone dosage in temporal arteritis. Annals of Ophthalmology and Glaucoma 1999 Jan/Feb; 31(1): 36-38.
[Cataracts] Trudo EW, Stark WJ, [Glaucoma] Podolsky M, [Macular Degeneration] Starr CE, Guyer DR, Yanuzzi LA, [Low Vision] Faye E, [Symposium Coordinator] Eichenbaum JW. A four article symposium on Failing Vision. Postgraduate Medicine 1998 May; 103(5): 113-178.
Weber CM, Eichenbaum JW. Editor Symposium: Acute Red Eye, Differentiating Viral Conjunctivitis from other Less Common Causes. Postgraduate Medicine 1997 May; 101(5): 185-196.
Eichenbaum JW, Burton W, Eichenbaum G, Mulvihill M. The prevalence of eye disease in two NYC nursing homes. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 1999; 28: 191-204.
Eichenbaum JW, editor. Treatment of Retinopathy of Prematurity. 1990, Mosby Year Book, Inc.;.
Eichenbaum JW, Friedman AH, Mamelok AE. A Clinical and Histopathological Review of Intermediate Uveitis (. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 1998 March; 64(2).
Eichenbaum JW. Trends in Cataract Surgery. Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine 1992 July; 68(3): 367-389.
Eichenbaum JW, Feldstein M, Podos SM. Corneal Ulcers in Extended Wear Aphakic Soft Contact Lenses. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1982; 66: 663-666.