Andrew S Dunn, MD
- PROFESSOR | Medicine, Hospital Medicine
- Hospital Medicine
- Hospital Affiliations
- Mount Sinai Morningside and Mount Sinai West
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
Dr. Dunn received his medical degree at the New York University School of Medicine. He performed his internship and residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center and stayed on as faculty after completion. He is currently professor of Medicine and Chief of the Division of Hospital Medicine in the Department of Medicine for the Mount Sinai Health System. His research interests are in anticoagulation and thrombosis, most specifically in venous thromboembolism, atrial fibrillation, and the perioperative management of warfarin. Dr. Dunn has collaborated and led national studies in this field, including a multicenter North American study on the perioperative management of oral anticoagulation. He lectures nationally on various topics in anticoagulation and has written numerous journal articles, including perioperative bridging therapy, outpatient treatment of deep vein thrombosis, and the prevention of venous thromboembolism for medical inpatients. His work has been published in the American Journal of Medicine, Archives of Internal Medicine, Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis, and NEJM. In addition, Dr. Dunn is a co-author of the American College of Chest Physician’s guidelines on anticoagulation and thrombosis. Dr. Dunn is a Fellow of the Society of Hospital Medicine, Fellow of the American College of Physicians (ACP), a member of ACP’s Board of Regents, and will become Chair of the ACP’s Board of Regents in 2018.
Please read his latest article in Our Town, "Don’t Hold Off on Your Health: Getting Checked Now May Save Your Life."
- Anticaogulation and Thrombosis
- Outpatient Deep Vein Thrombosis Treatment
- Mathematical Modelling of Warfarin Dose Adjustments
- Director, The Mount Sinai Hospital Outpatient DVT Treatment Program
- Director, Early Discharge on Warfarin Program
- Community Acquired Pneumonia Clinical Pathways Project
- Director, Primary Care Anticoagulation Service
MD, New York University
Internship, Internal Medicine
The Mount Sinai Hospital
Residency, Internal Medicine
The Mount Sinai Hospital
Team Award, Hospitalist Service
Mount Sinai Hospital
Healthcare Quality Award, Hospitalist Service
Mount Sinai Department of Medicine
House Staff Ambulatory Preceptor Award
Anticoagulation and thrombosis, including prophylaxis and treatment of DVT and PE, and perioperative management of warfarin
- Site Director, Peripheral Arterial Disease Detection Project (PAD PARTNERS) - Director for one of 15 sites in a multicenter trial of peripheral arterial disease screening.
- Site Director, MATISSE DVT and PE trials. International randomized trials of DVT and PE treatment.
- Principal Investigator - Outpatient DVT Treatment Using LMWH. Prospective cohort study of outpatient DVT treatment with LMWH.
- Principal Investigator - Mathematical Modeling of Warfarin Dose. Derivation and validation of a model for warfarin dosage adjustments.
- Principal Investigator - Effect of Warfarin Titration on Delay of Discharge.
- Principal Investigator - The Use of Low-molecular-weight Heparin in the Perioperative Period for Patients on Long-term Warfarin.
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Dunn during 2021 and/or 2022. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Industry-Sponsored Lectures: MSSM faculty occasionally give lectures at events sponsored by industry, but only if the events are free of any marketing purpose
- Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.