Alexander J Greenstein, MD Email Alexander Greenstein
- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR | Surgery
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR | Population Health Science and Policy
- Hospital Affiliations
- Mount Sinai Queens
- New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- Mount Sinai Brooklyn
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel
- Mount Sinai Morningside and Mount Sinai West
- Physician Office 212-241-8679 212-241-8679
Dr. Alexander J. Greenstein is the Surgical Co-Director of the IBD Center at Mount Sinai and an Associate Professor of Surgery and Health Policy. He specializes in minimally invasive (laparoscopic, single incision, robotic) surgery for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Diverticulitis and other gastrointestinal (colon, small intestine, gallbladder, stomach) tract disorders. Prior to joining as faculty, Dr. Greenstein completed a surgical residency at The Mount Sinai Hospital and a fellowship in minimally invasive surgery at the Oregon Health and Sciences University in Portland, Oregon. In addition, Dr. Greenstein completed a residency in general preventative medicine and attained a Masters in Public Health at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Dr. Greenstein graduated from Cornell Medical College in New York with Alpha Omega Alpha distinction after completing his bachelor’s degree in economics cum laude with distinction at Yale University.
Dr. Greenstein is certified by the American Board of Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). He has been a first or co-author of more than 60 peer-reviewed manuscripts, has editorial responsibilities at several journals, and has presented his work at both regional and national surgical meetings. He is a recipient of the David A. Dreiling Award for Scholarly Excellence from the Mount Sinai Department of Surgery.
Dr. Greenstein is an active member of multiple surgical societies (ACS, SSAT, SAGES). Research engagements include experiences at the National Institute of Mental Health, the Memorial Sloan Kettering Medical Center and the Brazilian Ministry of Health. His research focuses on advances and techniques in GI surgery for Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis and he has interest in health disparities and preventive medicine. In coordination with members of the department of colorectal surgery, Dr. Greenstein is actively involved in the rollout of the Adrian J. Greenstein IBD surgical database whose goal is to answer important surgical questions and improve patient outcomes.
In the News:
- Dr. Greenstein weighs in on the groundbreaking LASER trial which demonstrates that surgical intervention can definitively enhance quality of life for patients with persistent recurrent diverticulitis.
- Dr. Greenstein discusses Inflammatory Bowel Disease in the New York Daily News Daily Checkup
- Watch Dr. Greenstein perform a Minimally Invasive Subtotal Colectomy; a Laparoscopic J pouch for Ulcerative Colitis; Laparoscopic Ileocolic Resection for Crohn’s Disease; and a Strictureplasty for Crohn's Disease
- Watch Dr. Greenstein's patient tell her story about Ulcerative Colitis on EverydayHealth
- Investigate one of Dr. Greenstein's mystery cases, featured in Reader's Digest. Is it Crohn's Disease or not?
- In this nationally presented video, Dr. Greenstein performs emergency surgery for Perforated Crohn’s Disease during pregnancy
- Dr. Greenstein shares his take on the idea of Laparoscopic Resection in Crohn’s is more cost-effective than Infliximab.
- Hear Dr. Greenstein’s opinion on the idea that surgery may curb risk of recurrent adhesive small-bowel obstruction.
- Dr. Greenstein shares how common appendicitis is and the timeframe of symptoms and rupture.
Recommended External Links
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/
Colon and Rectal Cancer Surgery: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/treating/colon-surgery.html
Ostomy Information - United Ostomy Associates of America: https://www.ostomy.org/what-is-an-ostomy/
American Board of Surgery
- Abdominal Hernia
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colorectal Resection
- Colorectal Surgery
- Crohn's Disease
- Hernia Repair
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair
- Stomach Cancer
- Surgery Second Opinion
- Ulcerative Colitis
BA, Yale University
MD, New York Hospital/Cornell University Medical College
MPH, Mount Sinai School of Public Health
New York Presbyterian - Weill Cornell Medical Center
Residency, Preventive Medicine
The Mount Sinai Hospital
Residency, General Surgery
The Mount Sinai Hospital
Fellowship, Laparoscopic Surgery
Oregon Health Sciences University
English, French, Spanish
Alpha Omega Alpha
Cum Laude with Distinction in the Major
David A. Dreiling Award for Scholarly Excellence
Mount Sinai Residency Program
Surgical Residents Scholarship Award
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr.Greenstein did not report having any of the following types of financial relationships with industry during 2021 and/or 2022: consulting, scientific advisory board, industry-sponsored lectures, service on Board of Directors, participation on industry-sponsored committees, equity ownership valued at greater than 5% of a publicly traded company or any value in a privately held company. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.