Volunteer Position Description
Title: Student Volunteer Intern
Supervisor: Thomas Hildebrandt, PsyD, Director of EWDP
The Eating and Weight Disorders Program at the Icahn School of Medicine is an affiliate of the New York State Comprehensive Care Centers for Eating Disorders, and a founding program in the Mount Sinai Women’s Initiative in Psychiatry. We are committed to delivering gold-standard psychological treatments with demonstrated effectiveness for children, adolescents, and adults with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, obesity, or related body image problems. As part of our program, we have a number of ongoing clinical research studies. Our group is currently focused on testing innovative eating disorder and body image interventions and better understanding neurobiological and psychological mechanisms underlying eating disorder behaviors. In addition, we investigate the use of appearance and performance enhancing drugs.
Hours: approx 1-2 days per week (minimum 10-12 hours)
Application Deadline: July 15
Hours: approx 1-2 days per week (minimum 10-12hours)
Application Deadline: November 15
Hours: 2 days per week (minimum 18 hours)
Application Deadline: March 15
How to Apply
Please e-mail a cover letter expressing why you are interested in the position and an updated resume to email@example.com. Please indicate the cycle for which you are applying in the subject line.
IMPORTANT: Do not email your application any earlier than 2 weeks before the deadline.
- Help with recruitment and other protocol procedures for ongoing research studies, such as flyer distribution, screening procedures, and participant assessment.
- Assist with community outreach efforts (i.e. reaching out to summer programs, weight loss centers to educate them about our research studies via visits, mailings and phone calls).
- Shadow research staff and learn about the process of research and therapy for eating and weight disorders.
- Assist with submission of IRB documents, data entry, manuscript preparation and daily office duties.
- Potential opportunity to continue during school year
- Potential yearly employment opportunity in summer after graduation
- Pre-professional interest in psychology, medicine, public health, or a related field
- Professional, self-motivated, reliable, great attention to detail, and eager to learn
- Physical clearance, current immunization, PPD – this takes from 2 to 6 weeks
For more information or to make an appointment:
1425 Madison Ave. (corner or 98th St. and Madison Ave.)
ICAHN Building, Floor 6, Room 32
New York, NY 10029