The RMTI is pleased to provide the following additional resources related to accommodations, donor registration, and education from advocacy groups.
The Transplant Living Center at Mount Sinai
The Transplant Living Center (TLC) at Mount Sinai provides affordable, home-like housing in New York City for all transplant patients and their families. Conveniently located within walking distance of Mount Sinai, TLC is privately funded and staffed with caring volunteers.
In addition to the RMTI at Mount Sinai, there are a number of other organizations and websites that provide more information about organ donation, including the following:
- United Network for Organ Sharing: United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is the private, nonprofit organization that manages the nation's organ transplant system under contract with the federal government. Their site provides information about organ donation in general, as well as specific information related to living donation.
- Transplant Living: This website was created by UNOS to provide more information to donors and recipients about the transplant process.
- National Living Donor Association: NLDA exists to reduce the financial disincentives to living organ donation. The organization provides reimbursement of travel and subsistence expenses, and other non-medical expenses, for individuals being evaluated for and/or undergoing living organ donation.
- National Kidney Foundation: The National Kidney Foundation, a major voluntary nonprofit health organization, is dedicated to preventing kidney and urinary tract diseases, improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by kidney disease and increasing the availability of all organs for transplantation.
- National Kidney Registry (Kidney Swaps): The National Kidney Registry helps facilitate living donation by organizing nationwide kidney swap chains. The organization has been tremendously successful in average transplant wait time.
- American Liver Association: The ALA exists to facilitate, advocate and promote education, support and research for the prevention, treatment and cure of liver disease.
Tel: 212-731-RMTI (7684)
The Zweig Family Center for Living Donation
With amenities including ten bedrooms and two kitchens, the Transplant Living Center (with concierge Allyson Reala) is a "home away from home" for patients and families.