The Recanati/Miller Transplantation Institute at Mount Sinai is the second largest liver transplantation center in the world. Because of our reputation as one of the world’s leading transplantation centers and our history as a tertiary referral center for patients with all forms of liver disease, we often treat patients with complex medical problems. We give every patient equal consideration in terms of clinical eligibility for transplant. We do this in a compassionate and individualized manner, a hallmark of the Recanati/Miller Transplantation Institute at Mount Sinai.
Our Multidisciplinary Approach
Our multidisciplinary team is comprised of experts in hepatology, surgery, surgical oncology, anesthesiology, critical care, transplant immunology, and virology. This interdisciplinary approach enables us to provide the best in patient care, using state-of-the-art diagnostic and surgical techniques.
Advances in Care
Our innovative treatments and approaches to care include:
- Adult live donor liver transplantation, a treatment option Mount Sinai helped pioneer in which a living donor gives part of his or her liver to save somebody’s life
- Split-liver transplantation, in which one donor’s liver is split in two to save the lives of two people
- Multi-organ abdominal transplantation, often a kidney in conjunction with one or more other organs
- Complex surgery for patients with difficult-to-manage portal hypertension
- A multidisciplinary approach to patients with liver and bile duct cancer
- Novel drug treatment trials for viral hepatitis, HIV, primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune hepatitis, hepatic fibrosis, as well as new immunosuppressive agents
- Expertise in treating patients with complex vascular diseases of the liver, including Budd-Chiari syndrome, portal vein thrombosis, mesenteric vein thrombosis, and non-cirrhotic portal hypertension
- Care for patients with HIV who have chronic liver disease and are in need of a liver transplant
- A multidisciplinary team approach to the treatment of fulminant liver failure
The Zweig Center for Living Donation
Through our Zweig Family Center for Living Donation, we offer family members, friends, and others comprehensive evaluation services to determine their eligibility for live liver donor transplant. For patients in need of a liver transplant, living donation can alleviate the waiting period of a deceased organ donor. All prospective living donors must undergo a thorough medical evaluation, as must all candidates for a liver transplant.
If you would like more information or to schedule an appointment, please call: 212-241-8035. For information about the Zweig Family Center for Living Donation or to schedule an appointment, please call: 212-659-8096.
We Can Help
For additional assistance from an outreach liaison, please contact:
Sharyn Kreitzer, MSW
Senior Outreach Liaison
Tel: 212-731-RMTI (7684)
Adult Liver Diseases, Liver/Bile Duct Surgery, and Liver Transplantation
Pediatric Liver Diseases/Liver Transplantation Program
Kidney/Pancreas Transplantation Program
Intestinal Rehabilitation and Transplantation Program
The Zweig Family Center for Living Donation