Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
The Department of Dermatology at the Mount Sinai Health System offers a wide range of cosmetic surgical procedures. Some treatments are designed for challenges in specific locations, such as the eyelid, ear lobe, and buttocks. Others provide effective improvement in a variety of locations, including scar revision and mole removal. We use the very latest techniques and equipment, preferring minimally invasive approaches wherever possible, which decreases side effects and recovery time.
In addition, we appreciate the importance of appearance to your self-confidence and quality of life. Our care is always sensitive and geared to meet your individual challenges and needs. We are happy to be able to help you look and feel healthier.
Brazilian Butt Lift
The Brazilian butt lift (BBL) improves the contour and shape of your buttocks. With traditional BBL, we use liposuction to remove excess fat from the abdomen, flanks, and thighs. Then we process this fat before injecting it into your backside for a rounder, fuller, more lifted buttock profile. This also improves cellulite and skin texture. We use local anesthesia and sedation. You will see some results immediately, and the best results will be obvious within six months. BBL is safer than implants or surgery and does not require general anesthesia.
Non-Surgical Brazilian Butt Lift
Another minimally invasive and safe approach to the BBL involves using injectable biodegradeable fillers such as Scultptra® (Poly-L-Lactic acid). We inject this dermal filler into the buttock. This volumizes the area and stimulates your body to produce more collagen. You should see a fuller, rounder, more lifted buttock profile immediately. It also improves cellulite and skin texture.
We apply the solution to the skin surface, which removes the damaged outer layers. This stimulates collagen and improves skin tone and glow.
We offer a variety of chemical peels including:
- Jessner’s peel
- Glycolic acid peel
- Salicyclic acid peel
- Trichloracetic acid peel
- Phenol peel
If you have a benign mole that you want removed for cosmetic reasons, we can help. First, we check to make sure that the mole is not cancerous. Then we use one of these approaches:
- CO2 Laser Ablation: The TrueSpot® Ultrapulse is a continuous wave CO2 laser. It removes the mole by destroying the pigment cells deep in the skin. We perform this five-minute procedure using topical numbing cream or local anesthetic injection. There is no surgery involved.
- Shave Removal: We use this technique to remove superficial moles. We use local anesthesia to help with pain. We can combine this quick and painless procedure with CO2 laser ablation.
- Excision: For deeper moles, we can perform an excision. First, we numb the area with a local anesthetic. We then use a scalpel to surgically remove the entire mole, after which we suture the area back together. We remove the sutures in a week or two, depending on the site. The procedure takes less than 30 minutes.
Jewelry can stretch, tear, or damage earlobes. We can fix this with earlobe repair surgery. Under local anesthesia, we cut the damaged earlobe on each side, then suture it back together to reconstruct the earlobe. You can re-pierce the earlobe six months after the surgery. If you have a keloid scar on your earlobe from trauma or piercing, we can help.Treatments include topical treatments, injection treatments, laser treatments, and surgical treatments.
Drooping and sagging eyelids are early signs of the aging process. Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) can remove excess skin and fat from the upper or lower eyelids. This procedure gives you a more rested and youthful look. The results are long lasting, and the scar is hidden in your eyelid crease.
We perform this procedure in an outpatient setting under local anesthesia. Many patients combine an upper eyelid skin removal with laser procedures to tighten the skin of the lower eyelids.
You should be able to return to work a few days after the procedure. You may experience swelling and bruising for up to 10 days. Many people can hide the bruising with special makeup.
As we age, gravity and sun exposure can lead to saggy and droopy skin on the face and neck. A facelift can help by removing excess fat, tightening the underlying tissues, and redraping the skin on the face and neck. A traditional facelift procedure is performed under general anesthesia or sedation and takes several hours. We often combine this procedure with a neck lift to redrape sagging and wrinkled skin on the neck. You should be able to return to work a week or two after surgery.
Minimal Incision Facelift
A minimal incision facelift can improve the most visible signs of aging. This approach is less invasive than traditional surgical facelifts. It only requires sedation rather than general anesthesia. In addition, it leaves a smaller scar than a traditional facelift. We can combine this procedure with advanced tightening devices such as Thermage® and Ulthera®.
Non-Surgical Face and Neck Lift
As we age, the skin on the face starts to show the effects of gravity. You may develop jowls, wrinkles and sagging chin. Fortunately, there is a way to undo the years on our faces without surgery. Threadlifts provide a minimally invasive approach that lifts the skin and reshapes the skin on the face and neck.
To use this technique, we place pinpoint holes in strategic areas in your skin. We insert very small suspension sutures through these holes to reposition sagging tissue. Over time, the sutures stimulate growth of collagen, which gives your face the firmness and elasticity of youth. We perform this procedure under local anesthesia. Pain is minimal, and you avoid the risks of general anesthesia.
After the procedure, you may see some skin “bunching”, but most of this will go away over a few weeks. You can return to normal activities immediately. Not everyone is a candidate for this approach. Some patients require a traditional facelift or mini-facelift for best results.
Fat transfer involves removing your own fat (autologous fat) with low-pressure liposuction and injecting it into areas of volume loss. This works because your fat is a rich source of stem cells, and there is no risk of tissue rejection. The results are natural and long lasting. Some people may require repeat fat injections. We perform fat transfer in two ways:
- Eyelid Fat Transfer: Over the years, you may find that your lower eyelid regions lose fat. This can cause the appearance of deepening, darkening and sinking of your eyes, which can make your eyes look like they are closer together than they used to be. Some people think this makes them look gaunt. We can improve the appearance of your lower eyelid by doing a fat transfer to the area under your eyes.
- Facial Fat Transfer: We can use your own fat to restore volume to your face. This approach can be particularly helpful in concave or hollowed areas such as your temples and cheeks.
- Hand Fat Transfer: We can use your own fat to restore volume to your hands and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and unsightly veins.
Pregnancy, hormonal change, and the aging process can change a woman’s genitalia. We can help improve the appearance and function of the genitals without surgery. We use a variety of skin tightening devices and resurfacing laser to rejuvenate the genitalia. This treatment is minimally invasive, so there is less risk of nerve damage and scarring. This treatment is particularly popular in women who have delivered children.
You may be unhappy with areas of fat on your body. We use tumescent liposuction to surgically remove unwanted fat. Common areas treated are the abdomen, flanks, hips, buttocks neck, and the jowl. We perform this procedure under local anesthesia, which means you do not have the risks of general anesthesia. The procedure typically takes between three and five hours. Afterwards, you will need to wear compression garments for several weeks. You should see ongoing improvements in your body shape for six months after the procedure. The results are long lasting.
Micro-needling allows us to treat fine lines and acne scars and improve skin texture, tone and color. The Skinpen® works by piercing the skin with tiny needles to naturally stimulate collagen and elastin. It causes minimal epidermal damage and is safe in people with dark skin as well as fair skin. We can combine micro-needling with platelet rich plasma for even more dramatic results. Most people need several treatments for the best results.
After surgery or injury, you may be left with an unsightly scar. Scars can be distressing due to their color, texture, elevation, depression, or width.
We address treatment to your individual scar and skin type. Our general approaches are:
- Redness: We can use a pulsed-dye laser to reduce redness, which takes two or three treatments. If your scar is brown, we can use a combination of topical creams and laser treatments.
- Texture: We can use injections, dermabrasion, resurfacing laser, microneedling, or platelet-rich plasma.
- Depressed Scar: We may use a minor surgical procedure called subcision along with injections of filler to make the scar much less visible. If your scar is wide, we may use surgical scar revision to make it thin, flat, and less visible.
In addition, we can also use one of these approaches:
- Dermabrasion involves the use of medical grade abrasion to mechanically resurface the skin and correct uneven skin texture and contour. The abrasion processes involves purposeful removal of the outer layers of skin to stimulate fresh collagen and even out texture. We use a local anesthetic for the procedure. We also use this treatment for improvement of nasal contour. We may combine dermabrasion with a resurfacing laser, depending on the scar.
- Scar resurfacing involves using special lasers. This approach creates microthermal treatment zones, which stimulates production of new collagen. The tissue then looks more like normal skin than scar tissue. We may combine this approach with dermabrasion for optimal results.