Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Patient Encounter Associate
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 384 - RCC Non-Clinical
Requisition Number: 13-1589320
The Patient Encounter Associate performs all support functions related to patient reception, scheduling and financial pre-clearance, ensuring a high degree of patient satisfaction and maximum reimbursement to the institution. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: scheduling, pre-registration, self-pay screening and insurance eligibility determination. Responsible for obtaining and verifying patient demographic and insurance information, determining insurance/payment source, identifying necessary authorization or referral requirements, and assisting with determining and resolving insurance issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Greets patients in person and by telephone and updates their insurance/demographic information in the practice management system.
2. 2. Gathers registration and financial information for patient pre-registration, enters the information into the practice management system and ensures all entries are complete and accurate.
3. 3. Answers phones for the practice; schedules, re-schedules and cancels patient appointments based on established protocols.
4. 4. Contacts patients at home to confirm scheduled and cancelled appointments.
5. 5. Checks in patients upon arrival at the practice and performs full registration, including: verification of demographics, completion of financial screening, prioritizing and verifying insurance as appropriate with third-party providers, making follow-up appointments, discussing MSMC's self-pay policy for new patients, completing of Medicare as Secondary Payer questionnaire if appropriate, and having patient read and sign NOPP.
6. 6. Ensures the patient has paid, or collects, the appropriate co-pay under the direction of billing management, and provides the patient with a receipt as per cash-control protocols.
7. 7. May perform simple to moderately-complex charge entry tasks or enter payments collected from patients and prepares Cashier's deposit. Note: duties are mutually exclusive and may not be performed by the same employee.
8. 8. Facilitates prior authorization and appointment scheduling for diagnostic testing requested by providers for patients in EPIC.
9. 9. Reviews status of waiting room on a regular basis and advises patients of wait times.
10. 10. Ensures prior approval and other required procedures are met prior to delivery of care, by working collaboratively with other hospital departments.
11. 11. Reconciles daily patient schedule with encounters closed.
12. 12. Works billing edit reports and reviews encounters which may require correction.
13. 13. Scans documents into EPIC on a daily basis.
14. 14. Participates in system development and process improvement by providing feedback to Manager regarding issues in registration and change posting that impact negatively on operations.
15. 15. Follows all HIPAA and other federal/state agency requirements regarding proper handling of PHI documents.
16. 16. Other duties as assigned
HS/GED; Associates degree preferred
Microsoft office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel) - basic proficiency
Keyboarding skills are necessary, CERNER, EPIC or other practice management experience preferred
1 year physician practice experience. Must have a minimum of one week training on-site which will be provided by practice. Preferred: experience in a medical office setting, utilizing a computer system for physician scheduling
Effective interpersonal and communication skills required
Excellent telephone etiquette Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.