Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Health Information Associate
Full/Part Time: Temp
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 183 - Medical Records
Requisition Number: 14-1612698
The Health Information Associate is responsible for performing clerical duties in various units within the department. The primary functions include but are not limited to sorting and scanning loose reports, manual upload to the medical center's imaged documents repository of documents scanned by outside vendors and the quality review of scanned images.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Receives and accounts for records of discharge patients from all units (including inpatient, outpatient surgery) on a daily basis.
2. 2. Reconciles receipt of loose work from all clinical areas within the hospital and reports to Supervisor issues regarding timely receipt.
3. 3. Prepares records for scanning by grouping like document types together; places in page and date order; removes COLD fed documents from each record (i.e. transcribed reports, laboratory reports or radiology reports may be COLD depending on site); preparing all documents by removing staples, paper clips, sticky notes and rubber bands; removes unapproved/denial forms for further review; checks each patient record for poor originals and stamps with poor original stamp. In addition, copies all damaged documents so that they can go through the scanning process without difficulty; removes all color graphs, photographs and other difficult to scan documents from patient record by ensuring that the patient name, encounter number and medical record number are documented on photograph cover sheet. Replaces aforementioned documents with photograph cover sheet. Places original documents in designated folder and in designated location for scanning and according to procedure.
4. 4. Prepares batch by placing batch cover sheet on each batch and placing rubber band around batch. According to procedure, creates a batch for inpatient and outpatient record.
5. 5. According to set procedure, prepares loose reports for scanning, in addition; creates loose report batch of appropriate size.
6. 6. Ensure optimal image results by keeping track of scanner maintenance. According to instructions maintains scanner on a weekly basis and provides general maintenance.
7. 7. Retrieves records from scanning shelf and performs scanning process according to procedure and established timeframe
8. 8. Verifies that each batch has been prepped appropriately, removes documents that cannot be scanned and removes staples, paperclips, decides which errors to correct and when to return work to be corrected.
9. 9. Performs indexing process with accuracy by ensuring that each document is indexed to the correct patient/encounter and/or document type.
10. 10. Assigns a batch label according to procedure.
11. 11. Ensures the scanned medical records are an accurate reflection of the original paper medical record.
12. 12. Ensure errors that occur during the scanning process are corrected.
13. 13. Prepares "final" scanned documents for storage and maintains active/electronic log to facilitate quick retrieval and access of information.
14. 14. Reviews assigned work queue(s) daily and ensures timely processing of all assignments in the queues.
15. 15. Cross trains to perform all clerical functions within HIM
16. 16. Other duties as assigned
* High School Graduate or equivalent. Must be able to prepare reports and keep records.
* 1 to 2 years clerical experience. Detail oriented and background in basic office procedures, good computer skills and training required in (Windows/NT), Onbase.
* Interpersonal skills to effectively communicate and collaborate with other members of HIM and other hospital personnel.
* Medical Terminology
* Ability to set priorities, problem solve, use proper judgment in difficult situations and be flexible
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.