Human Resources provides guidance for COVID-19 testing and return to work clearance for staff.
Return-to-Work Guidance for Managers:
Revised as of 12/14/2023
Employees who test positive for COVID-19 or have COVID-19 symptoms:
- Should not come onsite to work, and should leave work if already there, if they are demonstrating the following COVID-19 symptoms:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Must notify their supervisor and register with Employee Health Services (EHS) via the EHS Registry for COVID-19-Like Illness or Positive COVID-19 Test.
- Can be tested at any Mount Sinai or non-Mount Sinai site that is convenient. Saliva PCR testing is available at local EHS sites; hours and locations are located on the internet.
- Are advised to speak with their primary care provider to discuss treatment options
- Should remain out of work for five (5) calendar days after symptom onset or after a positive test (if without symptoms), whichever date is earlier. Employees can work from home if authorized to do so and if their symptoms permit. Employees must wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days.
- MUST complete the automated Return to Work survey which is emailed to employees on day five (5) after symptoms began. Employees are expected to return to work after five days unless their survey results indicate otherwise.
- Are eligible for up to three (3) occurrences of COVID-19 sick pay since the start of the pandemic, March 2020. Only laboratory-confirmed positive Covid-19 results that have patient/employee identifiers are accepted for COVID-19 sick pay consideration.
Employees who have been exposed to COVID-19 but are asymptomatic:
- Can continue to work onsite
- Should notregister in the EHS Registry for Reporting COVID-19-like Illness or Positive COVID-19 Test.
- Should test for COVID-19 on days one (1), three (3), and five (5) after exposure. If symptoms develop or the test is positive, report to the EHS Registry for Reporting COVID-19-Like Illness or Positive COVID-19 Test.
- Can be tested at any Mount Sinai or non-Mount Sinai site that is convenient. At-home rapid tests are acceptable; however, if positive using an at-home rapid test, note that only facility-based positive Covid-19 results with patient/employee identifiers on the report are accepted for COVID-19 sick pay consideration.
Employees who test negative for COVID-19 but have ongoing symptoms:
- Should not report to work onsite if symptoms are ongoing severe or worsening
- If ongoing symptoms and one home antigen test is negative, employee should obtain PCR or repeat antigen test in 24-48 hours. If repeat test is positive, report to the EHS Registry for Reporting COVID-19-Like Illness or Positive COVID-19 Test.
- Are encouraged to follow up with their Primary Care Provider for symptoms that are non-COVID-19 related.
- Contact their Supervisor for return to work once symptoms are improving and fever free without taking fever reducing medication.
- Must wear a mask when working onsite if still with symptoms.
Return to Work Clearance:
- Employees who test positive for COVID-19 and/or have symptoms of COVID-19
- Will be cleared to return to work through an automated Return to Work survey which is emailed to employees on day five (5) after symptoms began.
- Must wear a mask for a total of 10 days
- Employees who test negative for COVID-19
- Are able to return to work and should discuss with their supervisor when their symptoms have improved
- Should speak to their treating provider/ primary care physician (PCP) for evaluation for illnesses other than COVID-19; will need clearance from their PCP if out of work for more than three (3) days. Employees will need to submit PCP note to EHS for clearance for RTW.
- Must wear a mask if still having upper respiratory symptoms
For questions regarding the COVID-19 Return to Work policy, please contact your local EHS office. EHS locations and hours can be found on the internet.
- MSHS Employee Health Services: (212) 844 – 1100
- 42nd Street Employee Health: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MSB Employee Health: email@example.com
- MSBI/NYEE Employee Health: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MSH Employee Health: email@example.com
- MSM Employee Health: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MSQ Employee Health: email@example.com
- MSW Employee Health: firstname.lastname@example.org