- ADJUNCT ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Genetics and Genomic Sciences
Dr Sanderson is a health psychology research scientist with a particular interest in the intersection between genomics, communication and behavior. Her research focuses on the cognitive, emotional and behavioral impact of providing patients with personal genomic information. She also works on the upstream communication of complex genomic information and assisting patients make informed decisions about receiving personal genomic results.
Dr Sanderson is one of the Principal Investigators of the Institute of Personalized Medicine (IPM) Project ENGAGE (Engaging Neighborhoods in General and Personalized Genomics Education). She is also Co-Investigator on the National Human Genome Research Insitute (NHGRI) - funded U01 grant ‘Biorepositories for Genomic Medicine in Diverse Communities’, and a member of the CERC (Consent, Education, Regulation and Consultation) workgroup of NHGRI’s ‘Electronic Medical Records and Genomics’ (eMERGE) II Network.
- Public understanding, attitudes and interest in receiving personal genomic information
- Communication of complex genomic information
- Development of genomics education for healthcare providers, patients and public
- Informed decision-making about personal genomic information
- Cognitive, emotional and behavioral impact of personal genomic information
- Application of health psychology theory in the genomics context
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr. Sanderson has not yet completed reporting of Industry relationships.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website at http://icahn.mssm.edu/about-us/services-and-resources/faculty-resources/handbooks-and-policies/faculty-handbook. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.