- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Psychiatry
- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Neuroscience
Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
MD, Tufts University School of Medicine
Mount Sinai Hospital
Dr. James Murrough is a Board-certified psychiatrist and a research fellow in the Mount Sinai School of Medicine Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program within the Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Murrough conducts experimental therapeutics and clinical neuroscience research in major depression, among other mood and anxiety disorders. Current focuses of his research include investigations of ketamine in treatment-resistant depression and brain mechanisms of antidepressant response measured using functional neuroimaging.Key Words: depression, bipolar disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder, psychopharmacology, antidepressants, functional neuroimaging
Murrough JW, Mathew SJ. Overcoming antidepressant treatment resistance: focus on glutamate. Modern Trends in Pharmacopsychiatry; 27.
Murrough JW, Mathew SJ. Neurochemical Imaging in Anxiety Disorders. Neuropsychiatric Imaging;.
Murrough JW, Mao X, Collins KA, Kelly C, Andrade G, Nestadt P, Levine SM, Mathew SJ, Shungu DC. Increased Ventricular Cerebrospinal Fluid Lactate in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Part II: Comparison with Major Depressive Disorder by 1H MRS at 3.0 Tesla. NMR Biomedicine 2010; 23: 643-650.
Murrough JW, Henry S, Hu J, Gallezot JD, Planeta-Wilson B, Neumaier JF, Neumeister A. Reduced ventral striatal/ventral pallidal serotonin(1B) receptor binding potential in major depressive disorder. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2010 May;.
aan het Rot M, Collins KA, Murrough JW, Perez A, Reich DL, Charney DS, Mathew SJ. Safety and Efficacy of Repeated-Dose Intravenous Ketamine for Treatment-Resistant Depression. Biol Psychiatry 2010; 67: 139-145.
Mathew SJ, Murrough JW, aan het Rot M, Collins KA, Garakani A, Reich DL, Charney DS. Riluzole for Relapse Prevention Following Intravenous Ketamine in Treatment-Resistant Depression: A Pilot Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study. Int J Neuropsychopharm 2010; 13: 71-82.
New AS, Fan J, Murrough JW, Liu X, Liebman RE, Guise KG, Tang CY, Charney DS. An Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study of Deliberate Emotion Regulation in Resilience and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Biol. Psychiatry 2009; 66: 656-664.
Price RB, Shungu DC, Mao X, Nestadt P, Kelly C, Collins KA, Murrough JW, Charney DS, Mathew SJ. Amino Acid Neurotransmitters in the Occipital and Anterior Cingulate Cortices: Relationship to Treatment-Resistance in Major Depressive Disorder. Biol Psychiatry 2009; 65: 792-800.
Epstein J, Pan H, Kocsis JH, Yang Y, Butler T, Chusid J, Hochberg H, Murrough J, Strohmayer E, Stern E, Silbersweig DA. Lack of Ventral Striatal Response to Positive Stimuli in Depressed Versus Normal Subjects. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163: 1784-1790.
Murrough JW, Boss-Williams KA, Emery MS, Bonsall RW, Weiss JM. Depletion of Brain Norepinephrine Does Not Reduce Spontaneous Ambulatory Activity of Rats in the Home Cage. Brain Res 2000; 883: 125-130.
- Intranasal (IN) Ketamine in Treatment Resistant Depression (TRD)
- Intravenous (IV) Ketamine in Treatment-Resistant Bipolar Depression (TRBD)
- Intranasal Administration of Neuropeptide Y in PTSD
- A Proof-Of-Concept Clinical Trial of a Novel KCNQ Potentiator in Major Depressive Disorder
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel group, dose frequency study of ketamine in subjects with treatment-resistant depression
- Ketamine Plus Lithium as a Novel Pharmacotherapeutic Strategy in Treatment Resistant Depression
- Targeting the NMDA Glutamate Receptor as a Novel Antidepressant Strategy: A Pilot Clinical Trial of Nuedexta in Treatment-Resistant Major Depression
- An fMRI Study of Ketamine in Treatment-Resistant Depression
- Double-Blind, Proof-of-Concept (POC) Trial of Low Field Magnetic Stimulation (LFMS) Augmentation of Antidepressant Therapy in Treatment-Resistant Depression (TRD)
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Below are financial relationships with industry reported by Dr. Murrough during 2014 and/or 2015. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
- Impel NeuroPharma; ProPhase, LLC
Scientific Advisory Board:
- Genentech, Inc.; Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website at http://icahn.mssm.edu/about-us/services-and-resources/faculty-resources/handbooks-and-policies/faculty-handbook. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Atran Berg Laboratory Building Floor Level E (Ground Floo Room ABE 39
1428 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10029
1428 Madison Avenue
E Level Room ABE-39
New York, NY 10029
- Monday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Personal Check