- ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR Pediatrics
Pediatric Hematology & Oncology
American Board of Pediatrics
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)
- Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML)
- Ewing Sarcoma
- Osteogenic sarcoma
- Pediatric brain tumors
- Post transplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD)
- Wilms tumor
MD, Christian-Albrecht Universitat
Bellevue Hospital Center
Bellevue Hospital Center
Dr. Birte Wistinghausen is the Clinical Director of the Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, and Assistant Professor of Hematology/Oncology at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
Dr. Wistinghausen earned her medical degree at Christian-Albrecht Universitat Kiel in 1993. After a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in the laboratory of Dr. Margaret Karpatkin describing a novel mutation leading to factor IX deficiency she went on to complete an internship and a residency in Pediatrics at New York University Medical Center in New York. She completed her fellowship in pediatric hematology-oncology at New York University Medical Center and Bellevue Hospital and received her first faculty appointment at New York University Medical Center.
As Clinical Director of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Dr. Wistinghausen specializes in diagnosing and treating pediatric patients with leukemia, lymphoma, Langerhans cell histiocytosis and pediatric solid tumors as well as treating selected benign hematological problems of childhood such as ITP, hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) and hematological complications of solid organ transplantation. Dr. Wistinghausen’s research interests focus on clinical and translational research in non-Hodgkin lymphoma and post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD). She currently serves as the institutional principal investigator for the Children’s Oncology Group and is a member of the NHL committee of the Children’s Oncology Committee where she has been appointed to spearhead the clinical research for B-lymphoblastic lymphoma in childhood and to develop a new national clinical and translational research protocol for the treatment of post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease with cellular based therapies. Dr. Wistinghausen has published articles about factor XI deficiency, hematological complications of solid organ transplantation, HLH and PTLD.
First Sydney Q. Cohlan Resident and Fellow Research Award
Department of Pediatrics, New York University Medical Center
Wistinghausen B, Reischer A, Oddoux C, Ostrer H, Nardi M, Karpatkin M. Severe factor XI deficiency in an Arab family associated with a novel mutation in exon 11. Br J Haematol 1997 Dec; 99(3): 575-7.
Lee CK, Raz R, Gimeno R, Gertner R, Wistinghausen B, Takeshita K, De Pinho RA, Levy DE. STAT3 is a negative regulator of granulopoiesis but is not required for G-CSF-dependent differentiation. Immunity 2002 Jul; 17(1): 63-72.
- AAML1031: A Phase III Randomized Trial for Patients with de novo AML using Bortezomib (IND# 58443, NSC# 681239) and Sorafenib (BAY 43-9006, IND#69896, NSC# 724772) for Patients with High Allelic Ratio FLT3/ITD
- A Phase III Randomized Trial of Adding Vincristine-topotecan- cyclophosphamide to Standard Chemotherapy in Initial Treatment of Non-metastatic Ewing Sarcoma
- AALL1131: A Phase III Randomized Trial for Newly Diagnosed High Risk B-precursor Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) Testing Clofarabine (IND#73789, NSC# 606869) in the Very High Risk Stratum
- Phase III Randomized Study of Chimeric Anti-GC2 in high risk neuroblastoma following myeloablative therapy and autologous stem cell rescue (Protocol - ANBL0032) (Brain)
- Vincritine, Dactinomycin and Cyclophosphomaide for Rhabdomyosarcoma (Sarcoma)
- ARST0332: Risk-Based Treatment for Pediatric Non-Rhabdomyosarcoma Soft Tissue Sarcomas (NRSTS)
- AALL0932: Treatment of Patients with Newly Diagnosed Standard Risk B-precursor Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
- Intensified Methotrexate,Nelarabine & Augmented BFM Ther (AALL0434)
- AALL1231: A Phase III Randomized Trial Investigating Bortezomib (NSC# 681239; IND# 58443) on a Modified Augmented BFM (ABFM) Backbone in Newly Diagnosed T-Lymphoblastic Leukemia (T-ALL) and T-Lymphoblastic Lymphoma (T-LLy)
- ACNS0831, Phase III Randomized Trial of Post-Radiation Chemotherapy in Patients with\Newly Diagnosed Ependymoma Ages 1 to 21 years
- Intensive Treatment for Intermediate-Risk Relapse of Childhood B-Precursor Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL): A Randomized Trial of Vincristine Strategies
- AREN0534: Treatment for Patients with Bilateral, Multicentric, or Bilaterally- Predisposed Unilateral Wilms Tumor
- ACNS1221 : A Phase II Study For The Treatment Of Non-Metastatic Desmoplastic Medulloblastoma In Children Less Than 4 Years of Age
- ARST1321: Pazopanib Neoadjuvant Trial in Non-Rhabdomyosarcoma Soft Tissue Sarcomas (PAZNTIS): A Phase II/III Randomized Trial of Preoperative Chemoradiation or Preoperative Radiation Plus or Minus Pazopanib (NSC# 737754, IND# 118613)
- ARST0531 - Randomized Study of Vincristine, Dactinomycin and Cyclophosphamide (VAC) versus VAC alternating with Vincristine and Irinotecan Hydrochloride in Combination With Radiotherapy for Patients with Intermediate Risk Rhabdomyosarcoma( RMS)
- ANHL1131: Intergroup Trial for Children or Adolescents with B-cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma NHL or Mature B-cell Leukemia B- AL: Evaluation of Rituximab Efficacy and Safety in High Risk Patients
- ACNS0332: Efficacy of Carboplatin Administered Concomitantly With Radiation and Isotretinoin as a Pro-Apoptotic Agent in Other Than Average Risk Medulloblastoma/PNET Patients
Physicians and scientists on the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai often interact with pharmaceutical, device and biotechnology companies to improve patient care, develop new therapies and achieve scientific breakthroughs. In order to promote an ethical and transparent environment for conducting research, providing clinical care and teaching, Mount Sinai requires that salaried faculty inform the School of their relationships with such companies.
Dr. Wistinghausen did not report having any of the following types of financial relationships with industry during 2015 and/or 2016: consulting, scientific advisory board, industry-sponsored lectures, service on Board of Directors, participation on industry-sponsored committees, equity ownership valued at greater than 5% of a publicly traded company or any value in a privately held company. Please note that this information may differ from information posted on corporate sites due to timing or classification differences.
Mount Sinai's faculty policies relating to faculty collaboration with industry are posted on our website. Patients may wish to ask their physician about the activities they perform for companies.
Physicians who provide services at hospitals and facilities in the Mount Sinai Health System might not participate in the same health plans as those Mount Sinai hospitals and facilities (even if the physicians are employed or contracted by those hospitals or facilities).
Information regarding insurance participation and billing by this physician may be found on this page, and can also be obtained by contacting this provider directly. Because physicians insurance participation can change, the insurance information on this page may not always be up-to-date. Please contact this physician directly to obtain the most up-to-date insurance information.
Insurance and health plan networks that the various Mount Sinai Health System hospitals and facilities participate in can be found on the Mount Sinai Health System website.
1468 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10029
- Monday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS EPO
- BCBS HMO
- BCBS PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire United Health Care / Empire Plan
- GHI CBP PPO
- HIP Commercial
- HIP Medicaid
- HealthPlus, Inc.
- Medicaid of New York
- MetroPlus Health Plan
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- United Health Care - Mount Sinai Top Tier
- United Health Care Commercial
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
- Master Card
- American Express
- Personal Check