Volunteer Position Description
Title: Student Volunteer Intern
Supervisor: Thomas Hildebrandt, PsyD, Director of EWDP
The Eating and Weight Disorders Program at the Icahn School of Medicine is a an affiliate of the New York State Comprehensive Care Centers for Eating Disorders, and a founding program in the Mount Sinai Women’s Initiative in Psychiatry. We are committed to delivering gold-standard psychological treatments with demonstrated effectiveness for children, adolescents, and adults with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, obesity, or related body image problems. As part of our program, we have a number of ongoing clinical research studies. Our group is currently focused on studying family-based interventions for adolescents with anorexia nervosa and subthreshold variants of the disorder. We are also investigating the effectiveness of family-based treatment and nutritional counseling for adolescents who are overweight or obese. In addition, we are examining treatments for individuals who experience body image disturbance or the use of appearance and performance enhancing drugs.
Hours: approx 2 days per week (minimum 10-12 hours) (days are flexible depending on the student’s schedule)
Application Deadline: July 15
Hours: approx 2 days per week (minimum 10-12hours) (days are flexible depending on the student’s schedule)
Application Deadline: November 15
Hours: 2-3 days per week (minimum 21 hours) (days are flexible depending on the student’s schedule)
Application Deadline: March 15
How to Apply
Please e-mail a cover letter expressing why you are interested in the position and an updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help with recruitment for ongoing treatment and assessment studies related to a variety of topics ranging from pediatric obesity, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and anabolic steroids use.
- Play an interactive role with recruitment and treatment protocols for ongoing studies, including flyer distribution, screening procedures, and participant concerns.
- Assist with community outreach efforts (i.e. reaching out to summer programs, weight loss centers to educate them about our research studies via visits, mailings and phone calls).
- Shadow research staff and learn about the process of research & therapy for eating and weight disorders.
- Assist with submission of IRB documents, data entry, manuscript preparation and daily office duties.
- Potential opportunity to continue during school year (paid for 2 days a week)
- Potential yearly employment opportunity in summer after graduation
- Pre-professional interest in psychology, medicine, public health, or a related field
- Professional, self-motivated, reliable and eager to learn
- Physical clearance, current immunization, PPD – this takes from 2 to 6 weeks
For more information or to make an appointment:
1425 Madison Ave. (corner or 98th St. and Madison Ave.)
ICAHN Building, Floor 6, Room 32
New York, NY 10029