The Mount Sinai Orthopaedic Oncology Service specializes in the treatment of benign and malignant tumors of bones and soft tissues that affect patients of all ages, ranging from young children to the elderly.
Our scope of practice encompasses both primary tumors that arise within the musculoskeletal system and metastatic tumors that spread to the bones such as breast and lung cancer, and multiple myeloma among many others.
A Cancer Team Like Few Others
Orthopaedic oncology is a rare subspecialty of orthopaedics with only approximately 150 physicians in the country. Ilya Iofin, MD, Chief of Orthopaedic Oncology Service, is one of the few such physicians practicing in New York City.
And because the treatment of musculoskeletal tumors requires a team approach, Iofin collaborate closely with other physicians at Mount Sinai:
- Radiologists review imaging studies and perform minimally-invasive needle biopsies in the CT scanner to help establish a diagnosis.
- Orthopaedic oncology surgeons get involved when they are needed to perform biopsies.
- Pathologists trained in the diagnosis of musculoskeletal tumors review the biopsies and the resected tumors.
- In many cases where no surgery is required, medical and radiation oncologists are called on to treat patients with minimally-invasive methods or with chemotherapy and/or radiation alone. In cases of benign tumors, simple observation may be all that is required.
- Orthopaedic spine surgeons, plastic and vascular surgeons, and pain management physicians are also available to provide complete care for patients.
Being a large team at a world renowned institution allows us to provide the best possible care to our patients.
Advanced Cancer Care
Traditionally, if a patient was diagnosed with tumors such as sarcomas, they would have been treated with amputation. In our practice, we explore all other options. Our limb sparing surgery allows removal of the tumor while preserving the limb in more than 90 percent of cases and amputations are rarely performed.
To schedule a new appointment:
For follow-up appointments:
For immediate assistance:
Jasmina Tyson, MS, PA-C
Mount Sinai Orthopaedic Oncology/Sarcoma
Faculty Practice Studies
5 East 98th Street
New York, NY 10029
For billing questions, please call 212-241-6980