Quality and Patient Safety
When choosing a hospital, you want one where quality of care, safety, and patient satisfaction are the number one goals. Mount Sinai is a national leader in developing unique programs that demonstrate a commitment to ensuring a high-quality, seamless experience for our OBGYN and Reproductive Services patients.
The foundation of our program is the creation of a culture that appreciates the inherent risk in modern healthcare and strives to reduce medical errors by improved reporting, development and monitoring of best practices, and continued learning. Our initiatives have changed the culture at Mount Sinai where everything is a teachable moment for our faculty and staff.
Other initiatives that have improved upon Mount Sinai's already excellent national safety record include:
- Executive Walk Rounds: The leadership communicates with front-line staff about safety issues during regularly scheduled Executive Walk Rounds.
- Quality Committees: Staff participates in the improvement of patient safety by reporting events and serving on one of the many quality committees in the Department to identify critical areas for improvement and develop effective strategies.
- Safety Surveys: The staff also participates in a regular survey that assesses the safety culture.
- Obstetric Guidelines and Best Practices: These have been developed in conjunction with our malpractice carrier, and compliance with these practices is carefully monitored.
- Surgical Care Improvement Project: Gynecology care is monitored and publicly reported.
- Weekly Safety Conferences: These focus on errors and prevention strategies, along with education of new science and technology.
- Code of Professionalism: A multidisciplinary plan has been established and sets a standard for excellence in professional behavior for all staff.
- Near Miss Reporting: An electronic system for reporting and analysis of near misses is in place.
- Drills: All staff undergoes simulation drills for communication and obstetrical emergencies such as shoulder dystocia and hemorrhage.
- EMR and Standardized Orders: The Department has collaborated with the institution to institute electronic medical records and standardized orders.
Dr. Erin DuPree has helped make Mount Sinai a national leader in developing unique programs that demonstrate a commitment to ensuring a high-quality, seamless experience for our patients.View Now