Useful Sleep Hints
Try these helpful suggestions:
- Get up at the same time every day.
- Go to bed only when sleepy.
- Establish relaxing pre-sleep rituals such as a warm bath, light snack or meditation.
- Confine vigorous exercise to at least six hours before bedtime, and do mild exercise - such as simple stretching or walking - at least four hours prior to bedtime.
- Keep a regular schedule. Regular times for meals, medications, chores and other activities help keep our “inner clock” running smoothly.
- Avoid caffeine within six hours of bedtime.
- Don't drink alcohol, especially when sleepy. Even a small dose of alcohol can have a potent effect when combined with tiredness.
- Tobacco is a stimulant. Avoid smoking, especially close to bedtime.
- Try to avoid napping, but if the urge to sleep is irresistible, try napping at the same time every day. Mid-afternoon is the best time for most people. Limit naps to 20 minutes.
- Avoid sleeping pills or use them conservatively. Most doctors avoid prescribing sleeping pills for periods longer than three weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking sleeping pills.
Keep a Sleep Log and bring it to the Sleep Center.
1176 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10029