The History of The Mount Sinai Hospital
On January 15, 1852, nine men representing a variety of Jewish charities agreed on a vision for free medical care for indigent Jews in New York City. In 1855, that vision came to fruition with the establishment of the 45-bed Jews' Hospital in New York in what was then a rural neighborhood on West 28th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues.
Although the hospital was a sectarian institution, the Jews' Hospital accepted emergency patients of any religious affiliation. In its first years of operation, the majority of patients were foreign born. As the Jews' Hospital was a charitable enterprise, its directors relied on the gifts of friends and members, as well as later payments from the government, to provide enough to subsidize care.
During the Civil War, the hospital expanded to accommodate Union soldiers. After this, to reflect its broadened mission and to ensure its eligibility for state and city support, the Jews' Hospital formally abandoned its sectarian charter in 1866 and was renamed The Mount Sinai Hospital. In 1872, it moved to a new 120-bed facility on Lexington Avenue, between 66th and 67th Streets, nearly tripling its original capacity.
Move to Upper East Side Leads to Expanded Services
With the move to Lexington Avenue, patient care grew to encompass outpatient services as well as new specialties such as pediatrics, eye and ear, neurology, genitourinary, and dermatology. The first tiny laboratory, large enough for only two people, was set up in a coat closet, and from here research took on increased importance.
In 1881, a training school for nurses was established, introducing professional nursing care to a facility previously served by untrained male and female attendants. The Mount Sinai Hospital School of Nursing closed in 1971 after graduating 4,700 nurses.
As advances in research, diagnosis, and patient care occurred, more people sought treatment at hospitals, and Mount Sinai’s leaders realized it was time, once again, to move and expand.
New Facilities on Fifth Avenue Offer Further Growth
In 1904, the new 456-bed, 10-pavilion Mount Sinai Hospital was dedicated on Fifth Avenue at 100th Street. The President of the hospital, Isaac Wallach, described The Mount Sinai Hospital as “this House of noble deeds” with a three-fold mission of “benevolence, science, and education.” Over the years, the hospital has expanded rapidly both physically and in terms of service, becoming a full-service medical facility capable of treating complex conditions. In an effort to help the hospital’s patients balance their medical and social needs, a department of Social Work Services was created in 1907. The latter is supported by the Auxiliary Board, which was formed in 1916 to provide financial support and labor resources to social service-related activities at the Hospital. The Auxiliary today works diligently to support vital hospital and community outreach projects.
Mount Sinai Active in Both World Wars
The Mount Sinai Hospital sent medical units to both World Wars. Of the 24 physicians and 65 nurses serving in World War I with Base Hospital No. 3 of the U.S. Army Medical Corps in France, the majority of doctors and nurses were from The Mount Sinai Hospital. The group finished the conversion of a 15th century monastery in Vauclaire, Dordogne into a 500-bed hospital that at one point housed 2,800 patients.
During World War II, nearly 900 physicians, nurses, staff members and trustees from The Mount Sinai Hospital saw wartime service. The affiliated unit, the U.S. Army 3rd General Hospital, served in North Africa, Italy, and France. Nine people associated with Mount Sinai died while serving.
School of Medicine Opens in 1968
In the late 1950s, the hospital began plans to establish its own medical school, an unusual move for a hospital. With its chartering in 1963, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, now called the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, became the first medical school to grow out of a non-university in more than 50 years. The fact that the hospital was encouraged to found a school is a testament to its tradition of excellence in patient care as well as research.
Mount Sinai School of Medicine opened in 1968 in affiliation with The City University of New York. In building the medical school, trustees envisioned a new kind of medical institution—a university of the health sciences. This new institution would encompass a medical school supported by a strong teaching hospital, a graduate school of biological sciences, a graduate school of physical sciences, and undergraduate programs for allied health workers.
The first class in the newly formed Mount Sinai School of Medicine consisted of 36 students, four of whom were women. There were also 23 students in a third year class and 19 students in the Graduate School of Biological Sciences. In 2007, the school began accepting 140 students in each first year class and there are now more than 300 graduate students at any point in time.
The 21st Century
The opening years of the 21st century found The Mount Sinai Medical Center struggling financially, but by the end of the hospital’s 150th anniversary celebration in 2002, steps had already been taken to chart a new course. In January 2003, Kenneth L. Davis, MD, Mount Sinai Class of 1973, was named Dean of the School of Medicine. On March 24th, he was also named President and CEO of the Mount Sinai Medical Center. Four years later, the two offices were split and Dennis S. Charney, MD became Dean of the School of Medicine.
More than 160 years after its founding, The Mount Sinai Hospital continues to grow and lead, fulfilling its commitment to high-quality patient care and teaching conducted in an atmosphere of social concern and scholarly inquiry into the nature, causation, prevention and therapy of human disease.