1952 - Inaugurated a program of free community lectures on health care.
Established one of the first dental residency programs in general practice in New York City.
1954 - Opened one of the first geriatric clinics in the United States.
Unveiled the Charles H. Silver Clinic.
1958 - Dedicated the Karpas Pavilion.
1959 - Received full accreditation for the Beth Israel School of Nursing from New York State.
1961 - Affiliated with Gouverneur Hospital.
1963 - Opened Baird Hall.
1964 - Purchased Manhattan General Hospital.
1965 - Became Beth Israel Medical Center.
- Began clinical trials using methadone to treat drug addiction.
- Affiliated with the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary.
1966 - Affiliated with Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
- Opened the Linsky Pavilion and Fierman Hall.
- Dedicated the Bernstein Institute in what had previously been Manhattan General Hospital.
1967 - Initiated the Infant School Preschool Youth Health Program.
1969 - Drs. Shinya and Wolff pioneered development of colonoscopy procedure.
- Vincent P. Dole, MD, and Marie E. Nyswander, MD,, the founders of the Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program, received the New York City Public Health Association's Haven Emerson Award for their pioneering methadone rehab program, which combined outpatient treatment with social work to integrate addicts back into society, an approach still in use today.
- Opened Gilman Hall.
1971 - Sarah Joffe, MD, Director of Anesthesiology at Beth Israel, became the first female president of the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists.
- Opened the Milton L. Berliner, MD Ophthalmological Pavilion. Dr. Berliner had been chief of Ophthalmology from 1941-1967 and was a well-known textbook author.
1974 - Opened a heart station, an inpatient and outpatient diagnostic and treatment center for cardiac patients.
1975 - Affiliated with the Hospital for Joint Diseases.
1976 - Became designated as an emergency heart station.
1977 - Became the largest Methadone Maintenance Treatment Program in the United States.
1978 - Affiliated with the Daughters of Jacob Geriatric Center, a nursing home in the Bronx.
- Expanded the Charles H. Silver Building to provide additional inpatient units and laboratory facilities.
1980 - Dedicated the Seymour J. Phillips Health Sciences Library.
- Acquired a computerized tomography scanner.
- Opened an ambulatory surgery unit.
1981 - Was among the first in the United States to recognize the symptoms of AIDS.
- Acquired the New York Infirmary Building.
- Opened the Karpas Health Information Center.
1983 - Established an outpatient clinic for patients with AIDS symptoms.
1984 - Began a geriatric psychiatry inpatient program.
1986 - Acquired magnetic resonance imaging technology.
- Established the David B. Kriser Lung Cancer Center.
1987 - Was designated as a center for AIDS care by New York State.
- Acquired Doctors Hospital and became part of the Beth Israel Health Care System. It was renamed Beth Israel North.
- Created the Neurobehavior Center.
1988 - Established state-of-the-art nuclear cardiology service.
- Added a 230-bed nursing home in White Plains as a long-term resource.
- Established a 12-bed inpatient unit for AIDS care.
1989 - Launched a cardiac surgery program.
Created a residency program in Emergency Medicine.
1995 - Acquired Kings Highway Hospital (now Mount Sinai Brooklyn).
1996 - Opened the first ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) Association-certified Center for Excellence, which remains the only one in New York City.
1998 - Beth Israel North becomes the Beth Israel Hospital Singer Division.