The Department of Pharmacy supports The Mount Sinai Hospital with high quality pharmaceutical services. We assist the staff of the hospital and medical school in meeting their goals in patient care, research, and education in the following ways:
- Investigation of drug distribution systems that are safe, reliable, and cost-effective
With satellite pharmacies helping to accomplish this goal, the pharmacist is responsible for all drug control on the patient unit, while introducing automated equipment to assist in the process.
- Maintenance of the department as the prime source of drug information within The Mount Sinai Hospital
This is accomplished with an increased availability of pharmacists and better access to drug information. The DIC is available to all Mount Sinai staff.
- Development of the concepts of Medication Use Evaluation throughout The Mount Sinai Hospital by setting standards for the collection of data
Standards for all drug use are established in conjunction with the Medical Staff, and specifically the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and the Investigational Review Board. The department monitors these standards through patient unit pharmacy mechanisms, data processing, and the supervision of staff members that specialize in specific areas of practice.
- Expansion of department clinical programs
This is accomplished through the introduction of new programs that further utilize pharmacist's professional knowledge and skills, as well as an expansion of current programs to assume new responsibilities for drug distribution and use.
- Continued education of residents, interns, and undergraduate students
Our goal is to prepare and encourage the student to enter the field of institutional pharmacy practice and prepare them to practice within the managed health care environment.
- Maintenance of the fiscal viability of the institution through proper financial management and responsibility within both the department and hospital
We will continue to develop indices and other sources of information to improve the department's financial goals.
- Take responsibility for the acquisition, distribution, and review of medication utilization information in conjunction with Medical Staff
Gina Caliendo, BS, PharmD
BCPS Director, Clinical Services
Department of Pharmacy
The Mount Sinai Hospital
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1211
New York, NY 10029