Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Health Information Specialist
Full/Part Time: Temp
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 183 - Medical Records
Requisition Number: 14-1608922
The Health Information Specialist is responsible for monitoring and updating hospital databases to ensure that each patient has a unique medical record number, ensures accurate demographic information resides across all databases, reviews the electronic medical record to determine that the record contains information relevant to the patient, analyzes the electronic record to ensure compliance with hospital policies and procedures, The Rules and Regulations of the Medical Staff, The Joint Commission, State and Federal regulations including review for timely documentation and appropriate authentication.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1) Generates and analyzes data reports for integrity of data and clinical entries.
2. 2) Maintains integrity of electronic patient health records through reviews, analysis, and audits of clinical documentation in Epic applications and other electronic record systems. Uses knowledge in anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and medico-legal statutes to ensure entries are complete, accurate and comply with regulatory requirements.
3. 3) Coordinates correction of inaccurate demographic and clinical data in electronic patient records and other relevant hospital databases. Identifies all affected documents in records, makes changes or contacts appropriate parties to ensure correction occurs. Follows through until process is completed. Maintains necessary documentation to identify errors. Assists with the development of policies and procedures related to data integrity and record completion.
4. 4) Works closely with Patient Registration, Patient Financial Services, and Information Services to solve issues arising from inaccurate patient data. Acts as a resource to Patient Registration Department and Patient Financial Services to analyze and provide solutions for duplicates or other inaccuracies in the registration system and electronic medical record.
5. 5) Register new unit numbers and inputs accurate demographic data into registration system.
6. 6) Provides information regarding a medical record number and demographic data to authorized requestors.
7. 7) Assists physicians and others with using Epic EMR to correct and complete documentation and authentication. Works one-on-one with physicians to understand Epic applications and resolve workflow issues. Serves as "expert" resource for physicians.
8. 8) Provides coverage and support to ensure timely completion of electronic death certificates following the policies and procedures provided by Health Information Management and New York City Department of Health.
9. 9) Provides coverage to ensure patient health information is timely transmitted to other acute care facilities and physician offices in response to emergent and urgent patient care requests
10. 10) It is expected that all HIM employees will function as members of a team dedicated to provide the highest quality services to our clients by assisting in such functions as maintaining a safe clean and functional environment.
*High School Diploma / GED required.
*Associate degree in health information technology or related health care field is preferred.
*Knowledge in medical terminology, basic anatomy and physiology, medico-legal and regulatory record requirements is required.
*Proficiency with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and Office applications such as Word, Excel. Able to work well with minimal supervision.
(Certification):RHIT or RHIA Preferred
*Ability to set priorities, problem solve, use proper judgment in difficult situations and be flexible.
*Able to communicate clearly both written and verbally. Able to maintain positive and productive relationships with internal and external teams and customers.
*Required to have 3 years medical record experience in a health care setting and experience with an electronic medical record preferred. An Associate degree in Health Information Technology or other health related field may be accepted in lieu of experience.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.