Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Genetics Laboratory Supervisor
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Department: 816 - Genetics and Genomic Sciences
Requisition Number: 14-1652718
Revised Date: 12.12.2013
The Genetics Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for all administrative and operational functions of the laboratory. Ensures that staff follows policies and procedures to meet departmental objectives to meet patient needs and comply with regulatory agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Supervises the work and daily operations of the Laboratory employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures.
2. 2. Resolves day to day operational problems related to system, personnel and equipment performance. Reviews and updates laboratory procedures and methodologies.
3. 3. Prepares work schedules, assigns and prioritizes work to staff, ensuring adequate coverage at all times. May perform duties of subordinate employees on an as needed basis.
4. 4. Provides employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
5. 5. Recruit, interview, select employees and provide effective recommendation for hiring and firing; evaluates competency and performance of personnel, recommend disciplinary actions promotions. Teaches new employees, trainees, medical students, residents and fellows on various laboratory techniques
6. 6. Advises and orients staff on policies and procedures as well as quality control measures for test procedures. Ensures compliance with standards and regulations of accrediting and government agencies.
7. 7. Apprises management of problems beyond the scope of own knowledge and expertise.
8. 8. Organizes and provides direction to in-service meetings and continuing education seminars.
9. 9. Reviews and submits departmental payroll.
10. 10. Ensures all laboratory personnel maintain accredited licensing and certification and submits the confirmation of licensure for the employees' departmental file.
11. 11. Maintains adequate inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents
12. 12. Performs other related duties.
Bachelor's degree in sciences or related field
5 years experience in laboratory setting. Supervisory experience preferred.
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Excellent customer relations
Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
Knowledge of accrediting and regulatory agencies
1. Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.