Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Environmental Enrichment Coordinator
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 877 - Ctr Com Med/Surg
Requisition Number: 14-1615646
Date Created 1.14.2014
Reporting directly to the Director of the Behavioral Management Program, the primary responsibility of the Environmental Enrichment Coordinator is to encourage the expression of species-typical behaviors, such as appropriate social interaction, social structure development, and opportunities for locomotion, manipulation, and feeding. Additionally, such a program should help prevent or reduce abnormal behaviors, including stereotypical movements, self-aggression, and ingestion-related disorders. The coordinator will also be responsible for training husbandry and research staff on enrichment with the intent to create a well-functioning and consistent enrichment and behavior management program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Coordinate the environmental enrichment program to provide well socialized and trained animals for study purposes.
2. 2. Coordinate and perform acclimation and training activities (chair restraint, blood draws, etc.) related to routine procedures, husbandry practices, and study requirements.
3. 3. Perform behavioral assessments of animals and work with the research and veterinary staff to address behavioral issues.
4. 4. Develop and implement social housing plans for all social species.
5. 5. Purchase inventory, construct, and maintain enrichment devices.
6. 6. Design and implement ways to study the efficacy of various enrichment techniques and devices.
Date Created 1.14.2014 Reporting directly to the Director of the Behavioral Management Program, the primary responsibility of the Environmental Enrichment Coordinator is to encoManage and ensure compliance with record keeping for colony enrichment. Evaluate and develop new approaches, ideas and concepts for existing tasks and/or improve/replace existing procedures or systems.
8. 8. Perform literary searches to keep on top of best-practices and professional standards.
9. 9. Attend workshops and seminars and actively engage other members within the field to discuss common issues and potential solutions.
10. 10. Oversee planning of weekly enrichment/housing events to ensure personnel understand the enrichment assignments and complete them in a timely and efficient manner.
11. 11. Train technical staff in enrichment procedures.
12. 12. Update the director about emerging issues and new approaches in laboratory animal enrichment.
Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Veterinary Technician (LVT) (NYSED.gov) if no bachelor degree or other related degree
3 years of behavioral management/environmental enrichment experience and at least 1 year of clinical experience.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.