Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Department: 816 - Genetics and Genomic Sciences
Requisition Number: 14-1674440
The Bioinformatician III manages and organizes large datasets, and conducts statistical and genomic analysis. Uses software to gather, store, manipulate and analyzes research data.
The Bioinformatician III will work with a group of researchers/biologists on innovative genomic analyses of structural variation, epigenetics, and gene expression in an integrated environment combining experimental and bioinformatic approaches to human disease. The individual will support research projects by delivering bioinformatics services for bio-medical data from cutting-edge genomic technologies
The ideal candidate will have strong statistical and programming proficiencies with proven expertise in genomic analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Applies computational techniques to design and implement analysis tools to solve computational and mathematical problems in gene-expression analyses.
2. Designs new algorithms focusing on solving problems in genomics.
3. May guide and/or train post-doctoral fellows, researchers, research residents, grad students and new staff in bioinformatic analysis.
4. Writes custom scripts for analysis of genomic data derived from high-throughput techniques.
5. Designs and implements bioinformatics tools and processes in order to analyze large scale datasets.
6. Identifies and resolves technical issues and proposes upgrades to current software.
7. Develop projects and work independently on a variety of bioinformatics analysis projects.
8. Manages databases, conducts statistical and genomic analysis, and participates in the preparation of manuscripts and presentations.
9. May be involved in sequence and structural analysis, data mining, or statistical modeling.
10. Collaborates with wet-bench biologists and work independently to analyze data derived from several types of projects using microarrays and high-throughput sequencing.
11. Conducts analysis of microarray and high-throughput sequencing data, genome sequence analysis, experimental design and statistical analysis.
12. May be involved in writing research papers and grant applications
13. May give presentations both inside and outside of the institution.
14. Other related duties as assigned.
M.S. in Biological Sciences, Bioinformatics, Computer Sciences, Statistics or related discipline, PhD preferred
6 years minimum experience required
Working experience with genetics or statistics analysis software and online resources. Experience in programming environments such as Matlab, R statistical package, BioConductor, Perl or C++.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.