Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 309 - Engineering -Local 3
Requisition Number: 13-1600282
Inspects, operates, maintains and repairs plant equipment such as steam boilers, furnaces, pumps, fans, engines, generators, turbines, liquid chillers, compressors and compressed air systems, vacuum systems, heating and ventilating equipment and related auxiliary equipment. Performs tests, submits reports, and documents all work and activities. Supervises others engaged in work in the Central Plant. Serves as Watch Engineer as assigned. Performs any and all related duties as assigned by the Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer or Plant Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Observes motors and gauges to determine operating condition of equipment and regulates flow of gas, oil and water for proper control of boilers and auxiliary equipment. Evaluates operating conditions and detects malfunctioning of equipment. Regulates starting devices, adjusts levers, throttles, speed controllers, pressure regulators, pumps, generators and other controls of auxiliary equipment. Periodically inspects equipment to determine the need for adjustments and repair. Makes chemical tests of water in boilers and alters content of chemicals as required. Supervises internal and external cleaning of boilers.
2. Operates and regulates chilled water generation equipment and all related systems. Operates and maintains cooling towers, chilled water pumps, condenser water pumps, make-up water pumps, domestic water pumps, sump pumps, ejector pumps, fire pumps, system strainers and blow downs. Uses BAS and other operator computerized controls systems to make adjustments and monitor system operation. Takes remedial action as required in response to alarm conditions or system failures as observed or reported.
3. Operates monitors and maintains as required other Central Plant equipment such as emergency generators, automatic switching equipment, Motor Control Centers, combustion air fans and Central Plant exhaust systems. Operates and monitors systems for the conveyance of medical gases such as medical air, medical vacuum, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, etc.
4. Records data such as hours of equipment operation, temperature and pressure, fuel consumption, equipment status and change of status all in accordance with existing regulations and safety procedures. Records same on round sheets, logbooks, computerized entries, work order systems and reports of any type as required.
5. Directly supervises activities of Boiler Fireman or Steam Operators as required. Coordinates work assignments and supervises other plant staff such as maintenance mechanics, plumbers, electricians, maintenance workers, trades helpers, etc. Determines work priorities in absence of specific instructions from Chief Watch Engineer, inspects all work for quality, quantity and completeness.
6. Establishes and maintains professional relationships with outside service contractors responsible for repairs and maintenance of Plant Systems. Interfaces as needed to ensure that assigned outside work is performed safely and efficiently. Operates plant systems as needed to facilitate the completion of repairs and maintenance work by outside contractors including starting, stopping and testing of operating parameters of Central Plant Systems.
7. Maintains and follows all established safety and security procedures as established by Plant Manager, Facilities Management and Mount Sinai Environmental Health and Safety Departments.
8. Performs any and all other related duties as required or assigned by the Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer or the Plant Manager.
High School Diploma or GED
Minimum Related Experience
3 - 5 years progressive experience as a Watch Engineer in a high capacity Power/Energy Plant.
Minimum Licensing Requirements
Stationary Engineer Licensed by the NYC Department of Buildings
Refrigeration Engineer Licensed by the NYC Fire Department.
Minimum Certification Requirements
Must be able to obtain C of F A-35, G-17 and G-97 within 90 days of appointment. May be required to obtain other NYCFD Certificates of Fitness as determined by Plant Management.
Minimum Computer Skills
Proficient with Computer Software Applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with Building Automation Systems such as Johnson Controls Metasys, Siemens System 600 Apogee and Andover Controls. Proficient and able to learn custom applications for specific systems such as boilers, chillers, and other plant equipment and computerized applications.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.