Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Senior Physician Assistant (Orthopedics)MSHQ
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Hospital (Queens)
Department: Q225 - Orthopedics
Requisition Number: MQ21659
Under the general supervision of a licensed physician:
Performs complete patient histories and physical examinations; orders laboratory tests and x-rays; performs and/or interprets laboratory and test results; and initiates treatment. May perform routine or emergency procedures including but not limited to irrigation and suturing of wounds or incisions, drainage of abscesses, insertion of nasogastric tubes and intravenous lines, sampling of arterial blood, etc. Writes appropriately authorized prescriptions; any prescribe controlled substances. May respond to initial requests for service-specific consultation.
May initiate or participate in initial management and stabilization of patients or orthopedic surgery emergencies.
Confers with attending physicians, residents, nursing staff, etc., to ensure delivery of optimum quality of patient care. Confers regularly with Supervising Physician and/or Physician Assistant and co-workers to keep them apprised of clinical developments, patient concerns, etc. May participate in special projects as assigned. May prepare QA data for review.
Performs other duties pursuant to clinical responsibility, such as arranging follow-up for patients, obtaining informed consent from patient, recalling patients for further evaluation and treatment, escorting patients, when necessary, to other areas of the hospital, etc. Informs patients of necessary post-discharge instructions as required. Makes appropriate entries in patients charts.
5. Completes and documents participation in continuing medical education required of physician assistants in order to meet requirements for certification, including assigned lectures and conferences.
6. May act as first assist in orthopedic operations as needed. May perform pre-operative and post-operative evaluation and render related medical care necessary.
7. Performs related duties as required professionally or at the request of the supervising physician, Director of Service and/or Supervising Physician Assistant.
8. Handles complex cases; gives guidance to staff Physician Assistants; performs administrative projects; scheduling employees, employee orientation, quality assurance/CQI. Performs special projects.
1. Job requires completion of NYS-approved program for physician or specialist assistants.
2. Registration required with New York State as Physician Assistant or Specialist Assistant. Certification with National Commission on Certificate of Physician Assistants (or equivalent organization)
3. Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification required.
4. Requires two or more years of progressively experience as physician assistant preferable in a large-scale healthcare organization OR one year minimum experience in relevant department, demonstrating superior knowledge and ability to perform all tasks within the delineation of privileges permitted for specific department. PA must demonstrate superior knowledge and ability to perform all tasks within the delineation of privileges permitted in the department.
5. High level of analytical ability required to effectively and expeditiously diagnose and treat orthopedic surgery problems under the direction of physician.
6. Interacts with various internal hospital medical, administrative and professional staff in the course of routine clinical duties. High degree of responsibility required for daily contacts with patients and their families.
7. Manual dexterity required for adept manipulation of orthopedic surgical and handling of medical equipment; physical strength necessary for lifting and proper handling/position of patients.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.