Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Program Manager I
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 016 - Child Health Institute
Requisition Number: 14-1619942
The Mindich Child Health and Development Institute (MCHDI) at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS), a translational research enterprise is dedicated to becoming a world-class unit leading the application of state-of-the-art translational research to several major childhood disorders, seeks a Program Manager. The MCHDI includes four centers focused on asthma/allergies, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes/obesity and neurodevelopmental disorders.
Under the direction of the Director of the MCHDI, the Program Manager will provide administrative leadership, guidance and support to the MCHDI faculty and staff for the invaluable research being conducted and proposed. The Program Manager will be an internal and external advocate of the Institute's mission. H/she will work closely with the Institute's Administrative Director and liaison with her office to ensure smooth operation and administration of the Institute.
The MCHDI seeks a team leader with organizational leadership experience and business acumen as well as a direct understanding of and familiarity with basic research in the biological sciences. The ideal candidate has a collaborative style, strong communication skills, and a passion for the progress of psychiatric genetic research. Experience working with or within a non-profit, academic research or hospital-based organization is strongly preferred.
TASKS AND CHALLENGES
This is an exciting opportunity to become part of a dynamic childhood diseases research organization that is actively searching for the genetic and environmental causes of asthma, allergies, heart defects, diabetes, intellectual disability and delay, and obesity in children.
The Program Manager will guide the MCHDI focus on the following areas:
* Maintain and further develop administrative infrastructure for the MCHDI. In order for the important work of the MCHDI to run smoothly and effectively, administrative tasks and processes need to be established, including recruitment and procurement.
* Ensure the fiscal health of the MCHDI. Working with the Director and Administrative Director of the Institute, the Program Manager will carefully monitor the day-to-day fiscal state of the MCHDI. S/he will identify and troubleshoot issues and problems, and work to resolve any issues with the Administrative Director.
* Cultivate an internal and external brand identity. The MCHDI is becoming an exciting and dynamic research enterprise. The Program Manager will work with the Director to develop and nurture the internal culture as well as create the public face of the MCHDI. This will include material for and interactions with the MCHDI's Leadership Council.
* Assist in assessing strategic options and opportunities. The Program Manager will help the Director identify and execute proposed partnerships, projects, and other endeavors as they arise. This will include organizing the annual retreat as well as administering the MCHDI pilot projects and grant review programs.
The MCHDI seeks a leader who combines an understanding of and commitment to its mission with the ability to provide administrative leadership to the team. The Program Manager will bring most of the following skills and experience:
* A proven capacity for leadership, with demonstrated competence guiding strategic planning and collaborative decision-making in a department or organization setting
* An understanding of and commitment to the support translational research
* Ability to effectively navigate complex systems and organizations
* A managerial style that is personable, consensus building, and inclusive
* Experience working with or within a non-profit, mission-driven organization
* Successful experience leading the growth and development of a high-performing organizational unit, such as a research team, department, or division - a history of sound fiscal, organizational, and managerial practice
* The capacity and commitment to be an engaging ambassador and advocate for the MCDHI with scientists, academic institutions, and research centers around the world
* Excellent communication skills - the ability to work closely with internal staff and interface with organizations and scientists outside of the MCHDI
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.