Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Brooklyn Heights
Department: B27 - B.H. Orthopaedics
Requisition Number: 12-1468874
The Phlebotomist performs procedures requiring an understanding of, and skills in, the procurement of laboratory specimens directly from the patient, such as blood and urine for laboratory analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Verifies Patient ID by the patient's date of birth (DOB) before beginning the accessioning process.
2. 2. Screens requisition information including correct tests, tubes and lab as required by the insurer.
3. 3. Verifies patient Identity by asking the patient's date of birth before venipuncture.
4. 4. Explains the procedure to the patient.
5. 5. Assesses veins and considers the patients preference, if any.
6. 6. Collects blood and other specimens in accordance with all Universal Precautions.
7. 7. Proficient to draw blood from all patients (Pediatrics, Geriatrics).
8. 8. Instructs patient in special collection of specimens (i.e. 24 hour urine collection).
9. 9. Communicates delays effectively when necessary.
10. 10. Ensures that an adequate stock of supplies is available at all times.
11. 11. Maintains a neat and orderly work station at all times.
12. 12. Performs other duties as assigned by Lead Laboratory Technologist.
13. 13. Prepares specimen to be sent out as needed.
14. 14. Basic computer knowledge necessary for accessioning and retrieving specimens.
15. 15. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/GED.
Basic computer skills
Phlebotomy Certification preferred
2 years of experience in phlebotomy
Ability to communicate effectively with multicultural and language-deficit patients
Effective interpersonal and communications skills required
Proficient in medical terminology and HIPAA guidelines
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.