Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Per Diem Perfusionist
Full/Part Time: Per Diem
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 779 - Cardiac OR
Requisition Number: 14-1660398
The Perfusionist performs functions necessary for the support, treatment, measurement or supplementation of the cardiopulmonary and circulatory system of the patient. The Perfusionist operates extracorporeal circulation equipment during any medical situation where it is necessary to support or replace the patient's cardiopulmonary/circulatory function and ensures the proper management of physiologic functions by monitoring the necessary variables. Clinical responsibility and oversight falls under the Chief and Chairman of the Cardiothoracic Surgery Department and/or his qualified designee.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Consults with the physician for the selection of the most appropriate equipment and techniques needed for the
2. Delivers various types of blood products, anesthetic agents or medications and controls the temperature of
patients during surgery.
3. Monitors patients' physiological functions during surgery and in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) such as
anticoagulation, blood-gas composition, electrolytes and blood collection and processing.
4. Responds to on-call notification for open heart surgical emergencies in the operating room, Intensive Care Unit,
Cardiothoracic Laboratory or other areas of the hospital.
5. Mentors less experienced Perfusionists.
6. Investigates and makes recommendations for the purchase of new equipment. Maintains an up-to-date
inventory and orders supplies as needed.
7. Performs other related duties.
Bachelor's Degree in Perfusion Technology or Bachelor Degree with a Certificate in Perfusion Technology from an accredited cardiovascular perfusion education program.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.