Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Per Diem Laboratory Technologist
Full/Part Time: Per Diem
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 142 - Hematology-Coagulation
Requisition Number: 13-1535852
GENERAL SUMMARY performs basic, routine and advanced laboratory procedures in the Hematology and Coagulation Laboratories. In each specialized area, the technologist must maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles and instrumentation. Maintains familiarity with the various testing procedures done in the laboratory. In addition, conducts or assists in special projects, evaluates new products and instrumentation and performs quality control measures.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs and reports on assigned analytical tests, including those of high complexity specimens in a timely, efficient and accurate manner in compliance with documented laboratory procedures.
2. Determines acceptability of specimens by performing visual inspections or by recognizing abnormal/unusual results. Documents unacceptable specimens according to appropriate policy. Communicates specimen requirements to appropriate personnel.
3. Maintains QA policies and procedures to ensure validity of results. Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Performs quality control for all testing and meets established ranges before patient results are released.
4. Maintains a safe and efficient working environment by performing equipment checks, cleaning work area, and monitoring temperatures in accordance with regulatory agencies and hospital policies. Recognizes and troubleshoots malfunctions of advanced technological equipment and initiates corrective action.
5. Enters test results into the Laboratory Information System for standardized report to be generated for physicians review and interpretation.
6. Informs appropriate personnel of department supply needs ensuring uninterrupted testing.
7. Attends various meetings regarding safety and quality control issues to keep informed of current lab and hospital safety policies.
8. Maintains clinical competency and current professional knowledge by reading journal articles and attending training sessions.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned to expedite the testing process and support the achievement of department goals and objective.
Education Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology or Related field.
Clinical Laboratory Technologist required.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.