Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Per Diem Cyto Laboratory Coordinator
Full/Part Time: Per Diem
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 847 - Pathology
Requisition Number: 14-1681188
The Per Diem Cyto Laboratory Coordinator prepares slides of cellular specimens, completes initial screening and assists pathologists as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Evaluates cytologic material for the diagnosis of established pathogenesis and signs out negative GYN (PAP) smears.
2. Evaluates non-GYN material for the diagnosis of pathologic entities.
3. Applies expertise in technologies toward teaching and clinical diagnostic purpose, devises new procedures and techniques.
4. Performs data gathering and entering of diagnosis and other data into a computer application.
5. Maintains equipment in working order and troubleshoots equipment problems.
6. Maintains records and documentation of quality control and laboratory test results, implements corrective action when tolerance limits are exceeded.
7. Assists at FNA procedures informing the radiologist of the adequacy of the materials aspirated.
8. Accessions laboratory specimens.
9. Prepares non-GYN specimens utilizing special techniques.
10. Prepares thin layer preparations for GYN and non-GYN materials.
11. Stains, coverslips and labels specimens.
12. Maintains inventory of supplies and reagents; orders same as depleted
13. Follows laboratory and personnel safety guidelines.
14. Follows institutional guidelines.
15. Apprises supervisor of any problems that are beyond own knowledge and expertise.
16. Performs other duties as required.
Bachelor of Science, major in Biological Science
Cytotechnologist license issued by the NYS Education Department required
All Cytotechnologists must have graduated from an approved school of cytotechnology accredited by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs) or a HHS (Health and human services) accredited school, or meet the other requirements under CLIA'88(Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments).
No experience required.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.