Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Pathology Grossing Specialist II
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 847 - Pathology
Requisition Number: 13-1600454
Receives specimens, documents the macroscopic descriptions and prepares moderate to high complexity surgical pathology specimens for processing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receives specimens for diagnostic purposes.
2. Enters all necessary information about the macroscopic description of specimens in the computer
3. Interprets physician instructions written on test requisition that is accompanying the specimens.
4. Analyzes, grossly describes and dissects moderate to high complexity pathology specimens.*
5. Prosects autopsies, when necessary.*
6. Assists Pathologists in performing frozen sections.*
7. Retrieves biopsy specimen containers for quality control issues.*
8. Collates bottles according to procedures for storage purposes
9. Maintains cleanliness of grossing area.
10. Ensures accountability of each specimen container grossed.
11. Exercises safety precautions.
12. Performs related duties.
Bachelor's of Science with Biology and anatomy credits
NYS Clinical Lab Technologist
Basic to Intermediate knowledge in MS Word
Three years of experience in grossing surgical pathology specimens
1.Exerts up to 10-15 lbs of force
2.Must be able to work in an area where dead bodies or body parts are kept/examined
3.Must meet the general requirements of the Medical Center as defined in Personnel Policy 13.2
4.Maintain a neat and orderly appearance and be punctual in attendance
5.Follows the policies of Medical Center
6.Works with and handles Biohazard (TB, HIV, Hepatitis, etc) and toxic chemicals
7.Tolerates allowable limit of chemical odor
8.Follows written and verbal instruction accurately and with good judgment
9.Learns new procedures as required
10.Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in working area
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.