Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Laboratory Technologist I 3-5 Years
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 152 - Clinical Microbiology
Requisition Number: 14-1663600
Performs basic, routine and advanced diagnostic procedures for the isolation and identification of microbial pathogens from clinical specimens. In each specialized area, the technologist must maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles and instrumentation, as well as the physiological conditions affecting test results. Maintains familiarity with the various testing procedures done in a laboratory. In addition, conducts or assists in special projects, evaluates new products and instrumentation and performs quality control measures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs and reports assigned analytical tests, including high complexity tests on biological specimens, in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner in compliance with documented laboratory procedures.
2. Determines acceptability of specimens by performing visual inspections or by recognizing abnormal/ unusual results. Documents unacceptable specimens according to appropriate policy. Communicates specimen requirements to appropriate personnel.
3. Maintains QA policies and procedures to ensure validity of results. Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Performs quality control for all testing and meets established ranges before patient results are released.
4. Maintains a safe and efficient working environment by performing equipment checks, cleaning work area, and monitoring temperatures in accordance with regulatory agencies and hospital policies. Recognizes and troubleshoots malfunctions of advanced technological equipment and initiates corrective action.
5. Enters test results into the Laboratory Information System in order for standardized report to be generated for physicians review and interpretation. Informs appropriate personnel of department supply needs ensuring uninterrupted testing.
6. Attends various meetings regarding safety and Quality Control issues in order to keep informed of current lab and hospital safety policies.
7. Maintains clinical competency and current professional knowledge by reading relevant journal articles and attending training sessions.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned in order to expedite the testing process and support the achievement of department goals and objectives.
Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology or related field
Three-five years of laboratory experience
1. Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.