Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 150 - Molecular Pathology
Requisition Number: 14-1665872
The Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for oversight of day to day laboratory operations and supervision of subordinate personnel, data collection, special projects, preparation and presentation of reports on special projects, budget variance analyses, review of test results, resolution of issues, problems, and/or complaints. Ensures quality service levels from all shifts, continuing laboratory accreditation by all accrediting/licensing agencies, processes administrative and financial transactions, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Supervises the work and daily operations of the Laboratory employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures. Evaluates and updates laboratory procedures and methodologies.
2. Provides Quality Control Measures for test procedures; reviews and documents results; implements corrective action(s) when tolerance limits are exceeded; ensures specimen integrity from point of receipt and accessioning through filing/archival; ensures compliance with standards and regulations of accrediting and government agencies. Resolves day to day operational problems related to system, personnel and equipment performance.
3. Prepares work schedule, assigns and prioritizes work to staff, ensuring adequate coverage at all times; prioritizes work when equipment fails and short staffing occurs; may perform duties of subordinate employees during equipment failure and/or shortage of staffing and/or on an as needed basis.
4. Provides employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
5. Recruit, interview, select employees and provide effective recommendation for hiring and firing; evaluates competency and performance of personnel, recommend disciplinary actions promotions. Teaches new employees, trainees, medical students, residents and fellows on various laboratory techniques.
6. Advises and orients staff on policies and procedures as well as quality control measures for test procedures. Ensures compliance with standards and regulations of accrediting and government agencies.
7. Apprises management of problems beyond the scope of own knowledge and expertise
8. Organizes and provides direction to in-service meetings and continuing education seminars.
9. Reviews and submits departmental payroll.
10. Ensures all laboratory personnel maintain accredited licensing and certification and submits the confirmation of licensure for the employees' departmental file.
11. Maintains adequate inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents. Provides recommendations regarding capital equipment acquisition and renovation/construction to best utilize space.
12. Performs other related duties.
Bachelor's degree in sciences or related field, Master's degree preferred
5 years experience in laboratory setting. Supervisory experience preferred.
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Excellent customer relations
Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
Knowledge of accrediting and regulatory agencies
1. Clinical Laboratory Technologist required.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.