Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Clinical Nutrition Coordinator
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 209 - Fs-Clin. Nutrition
Requisition Number: 13-1534274
The Renal Dietitian reports to the Director of Clinical Nutrition and is responsible for providing ongoing care for all nutrition aspects of pre ESRD, ESRD, PD and transplant patients. Responsible for comprehensive nutrition assessment including short and long-term program within one month of admission. Counsel patient, family, significant other or caregiver on prescribed diet and monitor adherence and response to therapy. Review monthly lab work on an individual basis and intervene as appropriate in collaboration with patient's health care team. Acts as a resource person for staff members and provides guidance as needed. Precepts Dietetic Interns and develops learning modules. Plans, conducts and evaluates nutrition education programs and assists in program development, Quality Improvement activities, policies and procedure review and revisions.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Evaluate and assess patients' nutritional status by reviewing current pertinent information obtained from the medical record, the patient, attending physician, case manager and team on rounds or evaluation meetings.
2. Counsel patients using the most current assessment parameters available and ensure all laboratory indices are documented. Report any deficiencies to leadership.
3. Make appropriate recommendations to the team members regarding the nutritional management of the patient.
4. Review and interpret physician prescribed diets including special instructions such a supplementary feedings, enteral and parenteral nutrition and makes additional recommendations for change as needed.
5. Develop a care plan for the patient with the team.
6. Evaluate and assess patient response to diet therapy through direct interview, calculating nutrient intake, monitoring tolerance of feedings, review of current laboratory data and medication compliance.
7. Plan, conduct and implement all appropriate educational sessions and provide appropriate nutrition counseling as needed.
8. Document all pertinent information in the medical record as per policy.
9. Develop and maintain cooperative working relationship with other team members to ensure optimum patient care.
10. Provide staff development and in-services to patient unit personnel and newly hired patient unit staff on the principles and application of nutrition, diet and related procedures. Make recommendations on new policies and procedures.
11. Responsible to the Clinical Manager in the demonstration of conformity to all legal, regulatory agencies and departmental policies, procedures and guideline requirements.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Other Job Functions:
1. Monitor dialysis adequacy (urea reduction rations), albumin levels, and markers of mineral metabolism including calcium, phosphorus, calcium-phosphorus product, parathyroid hormone monthly and report during performance improvement meetings.
2. Monitor markers of mineral metabolism and aid primary care nephrologists in adjusting Vitamin D analogue dosing monthly.
3. Review medication compliance.
4. Report any deficiencies or missing laboratory values to clinic leadership to ensure compliance.
5. Participate in community relations and external speaking events to promote CKD service and education.
6. Maintain knowledge of field by reading appropriate articles, relative materials and by attending seminars, conferences and professional meetings.
7. Effective written, oral communication and counseling skills are essential.
8. Precept and prepare clinical nutrition modules for dietetic interns.
1. Must possess a Bachelor/Masters degree from an accredited institution with an approved plan from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and have completed an approved qualifying dietetic internship.
2. Must possess registration credentials (Registered Dietitian-RD) from the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with on-going portfolio documentation of continuing education relevant to service.
3. 3 to 5 years of progressive more responsible experience in dietetics not including the dietetic internship. Previous renal experience a plus.
4. An advanced degree and/or advanced credential such as Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian (CNSD) or Pediatric/Renal/Oncology Specialty designated by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is desirable.
5. Membership in the Council on Renal Nutrition a plus.
6. Licensure in accordance with CMS requirements
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.