Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Child Life Specialist I
Full/Part Time: Part Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 358 - Child Life Program
Requisition Number: 13-1583040
As a member of the health care team, the Child Life Specialist I is responsible for the design, development, and implementation of recreational, therapeutic and rehabilitative activities of patients and families. Assists in identifying the psychosocial and developmental factors that impact the health care experience for patients and family members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Interviews, evaluates and assesses behavior to design and implement therapy programs and activities for patients.
2. Assess the emotional, developmental, educational, recreational and diversionary needs of the patient and family.
3. Provides developmental stimulation, therapeutic play and activities, procedural preparation, age-appropriate education and family support to help reduce stress, increase adaptive coping, and enhance developmental growth.
4. Implements individual or group therapeutic activities according to design adapting program to meet patient needs.
5. Prepare and submit reports and charts to treatment team to reflect patients' reactions and evidence of progress or regression.
6. Observes and supervise patient's development to ensure progression of therapy.
7. Confer with members of treatment team to plan and evaluate therapy programs.
8. Obtain information from medical records, medical staff, family members and the patients themselves to assess patients' capabilities, needs and interests.
9. Estimates needs for space, supplies and equipment. Request supplies as necessary.
10. Trains students in therapeutic recreational programs
11. Performs other related duties
Bachelor's Degree in Child Development or related field. Master's degree preferred. Must receive Certified Child Life Specialist designation within one year of hire.
1 year of experience with knowledge of infant, child, and adolescent growth and development preferred.
Excellent service and communication skills
Ability to prioritize and complete duties in a timely manner
Work collaboratively and in a positive manner
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.