Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Chief Laboratory Supervisor
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 151 - Chemistry
Requisition Number: 13-1550462
The Chief Laboratory Supervisor is responsible for the general operation of the laboratory. Directs and coordinates through subordinate supervisory personnel, all technical activities and functions within one of the major laboratory areas. The Chief Laboratory Supervisor is accountable and responsible for all administrative and technical functions in assigned area including report preparation, assisting in the budget process and representing assigned area at departmental meetings. In each specialized area, maintains in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles and instrumentation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Evaluates, develops and implements new technical procedures for assigned laboratory to ensure accurate and efficient delivery of services.
2. Develops and implements policies and procedures as necessary to maintain high level of functioning in assigned area.
3. Maintains established technical and operational standards to ensure compliance with hospital standards and licensing and accrediting agencies. May interact with the various regulatory agencies as required.
4. Develops, prepares and implements departmental budgets.
5. Advises on purchase of equipment and supplies, and may negotiate prices with vendors.
6. Supervises staff of first line supervisors, technologists and coordinator and may assume responsibility for the absence of appropriate supervisory staff.
7. May provide justification for Purchase Orders for supplies.
8. Responsible for scheduling supervisors.
9. May be required to ensure effective, efficient and safe personnel coverage for 24-hour basis, by preparing an advance time schedule for all technical and clerical personnel.
10. May be responsible for managing computer systems, including programming, workload capture, billing capture, interface conversion codes, and software validation.
11. Responsible for all departmental statistics, and coordinates collection and preparation as required.
12. Prepares and completes competence and performance appraisals of all staff. Maintains employee files.
13. Reviews employee evaluations, disciplinary actions and terminations.
14. Provides effective recommendations on hiring, advancement, and termination of personnel.
15. Reviews and approves departmental payroll activities.
16. Develops and presents programs for continuing education.
17. Performs various laboratory procedures as needed.
18. Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology or related Sciences, Master's Preferred
5 years minimum experience including supervisory experience, 10 preferred
1. Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.