Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Certified,clinically Advanced Nutrition Crd
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 209 - Fs-Clin. Nutrition
Requisition Number: 13-1579540
Under the direction of the Director of Clinical Nutrition and with minimal supervision provides quality nutrition care and education to patients and their families. Develops and implements nutrition services and medical nutrition therapy for patients (pediatric and/or adult) using standards and evidence based practice guidelines. Identifies and collects performance improvement data, monitors outcomes, and initiates corrective actions. Is a resource to both the medical and clinical nutrition staff. Assists with performance improvement initiatives for the Department of Clinical Nutrition. Coordinates the dietetic internship program; ensuring competencies are met for completion of clinical and food service rotations. Assist the Director with administrative duties and assumes leadership responsibilities in the Director's absence.
Duties and Responsibilities
(in order of importance and/or frequency)
1. Evaluates patients' nutritional status by reviewing pertinent information obtained from the patient, the electronic medical record, and the interdisciplinary health care team.
2. Applies knowledge of nutrition screening and assessment to specific patient populations to determine their nutritional needs.
3. Maintains advanced credentialing in a specialty area, and acts as a key member of the multidisciplinary team by coordinating rounds and participating in the multidisciplinary approach to patient care.
4. Evaluates nutrition care plans for effectiveness and recommends changes as needed.
5. Uses professional judgment to adapt and apply guidelines, protocols and professional standards of care to the new and changing needs of the patient.
6. Adjusts physician orders as appropriate and initiate orders for nutrition support regimes per hospital and department policy.
7. Coordinates home therapies as indicated with direct communication to patients, physicians, home care companies, nursing, pharmacy, social work and other health care providers.
8. Participates and/or assists with determining basic metabolic needs of patients.
9. Participates in development and implementation of policies and procedures relating to nutrition services.
10. Actively participates in education and training activities and disseminates information regarding current nutrition practices through education efforts.
11. Actively participates in hospital committees that impact nutrition within the Medical Center and reports performance improvement data as needed.
12. Provides staff development and in-services to nursing unit personnel on the principles and application of nutrition, diet and related procedures.
13. Participates in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures for the Department of Clinical Nutrition.
14. Coordinates and directs the activities of the dietetic interns rotating through the department from various colleges and universities.
15. Responsible to the Director of Clinical Nutrition in the demonstration of conformity to all legal, regulatory agencies and Department of Clinical Nutrition policies, procedures and guideline requirements.
16. Participates in community relations and internal/external speaking events to promote nutrition services and education.
17. Coordinates quality improvement initiatives
18. Works with pharmacy on drug-nutrient protocols as they arise.
19. Coordinates Journal Clubs for staff members to maintain continuing education credits.
20. Coordinate research activities for the Department of Clinical Nutrition.
21. Other duties as assigned.
Master's Degree required
Licensure: Certified Dietitian Nutritionist (CDN) from NYS Office of the Professions
Certification: Registered Dietitian (RD) with the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
A specialty credential (for example Certified Diabetes Educator - CDE)
6 years minimum experience, including 3-4 years in specialty area
>30 hours CEUs in specialty area
1. Certified Dietitian Nutritionist (CDN)
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.