Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Brooklyn Heights Respiratory Therapist
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Brooklyn Heights
Department: B10 - B.H. Pulmonary
Requisition Number: 12-1469842
The Brooklyn Heights Respiratory Therapist performs all aspects of respiratory therapy including: the initiation of various types of breathing therapy, bland as well as pharmacological aerosol therapy, pulmonary function testing, blood gas puncture and analysis. Responsible for blood gas analyzer operator maintenance and quality control, cleaning and sterilization of respiratory equipment, oxygen therapy and clinical instruction of respiratory therapy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Performs pulmonary function tests including lung mechanics (spirometry), lung volumes (forced residual capacity), lung diffusion (dico) and methacholine challenge tests.
2. 2. Stores PFT results and generates reports for physician interpretation.
3. 3. Maintains PFT equipment including daily syringe calibration with proper environmental settings entered prior to testing, the change of gas volumes as needed and bi-monthly oil change.
4. 4. Contacts equipment vendor for technical assistance as needed.
5. 5. Performs monthly quality assurance of equipment with generation of graphs and calculations to determine accuracy and validity of the equipment and results.
6. 6. Performs and analyzes arterial blood gases on blood gas analyzer.
7. 7. Plots quality control data on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy and maintain records as required by law.
8. 8. Maintains the blood gas analyzer by cleaning and conditioning, changing gases and reagents as needed and maintaining internal components.
9. 9. Administers bronchodilator and oxygen therapy as prescribed.
10. 10. Performs other pulmonary lab functions including ordering and maintenance of supplies.
11. 11. Adheres to infection control safety and OSHA guidelines.
Associates degree from a respiratory therapist education program or recognized equivalent education. Bachelor's degree preferred.
CRT Certification from the National Board for Respiratory Care
Knowledge of electronic medical record or billing systems preferred, but not requ
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.