Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Associate Director, Coding Compliance
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 183 - Medical Records
Requisition Number: 13-1571166
Responsible for the day to day operations of the Medical Records Department. Provide direct supervision of and coordination of functions of Managers, including Medical Information, Coding & Abstracting, File Systems, Data Integrity, Chart Completion, and Document Management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. 1. Designs, monitors and evaluates the workflow within and between departmental areas, i.e., Coding/Analysis, Chart Completion, Medical Information etc.
2. 2. Coordinates activities of Managers to ensure optimal and efficient operations which align to projected goals.
3. 3. Functions as the point person and/or technical resource for internal and hospital-wide projects as requested.
4. 4. Identifies and proposes solutions to problems underlying the daily crisis both intra and extra-departmentally.
5. 5. Functions as liaison with Human Resources and labor relations relative to union concerns.
6. 6. Oversees accuracy and timeliness in responses to technical and DRG appeals from all agencies.
7. 7. Establishes and maintains open communication with all medical staff, house staff and administration. Assists in suspension process and delinquency rate.
8. 8. Provides direction/support and training to managers and respective areas regarding regulatory changes impacting operations and finance.
9. 9. Recommends and oversees implementation of quality improvement initiatives.
10. 10. Handles emergency issues/crisis and problem solves. Assumes all decision making
responsibility as authorized in the absence of the Director.
11. 11. Assists in preparation of budget process.
12. 12. Participates on selected on hospital wide committees and Task Forces.
13. 13. Assumes responsibility for maintaining and updating policy and procedure manuals in accordance with statutory, administrative, and industry changes.
14. 14. Interviews, hires, trains, counsels, disciplines, evaluates and terminates staff.
15. 15. Maintains confidentiality of all patient records and medical information.
16. 16. Develops and maintains good working relationships with other department personnel, supervisors, others.
17. 17. Generates or requests reports from 3M, Soft-Med, EPIC, SPARCS, Medpar, HPN and other applications to ensure compliance and benchmarks met. Analyze data, report findings and recommend corrective action plans.
18. 18. Performs various other related duties as may be deemed necessary or as may be directed by immediate director/administrator.
19. 19. Oversees and capable of providing coverage with the Coding/ Validation/ CDMP areas relative to TRAC, DNFB and Clinical Documentation needs which directly or indirectly effect revenue.
*B.S. Health Information Management or equivalent degree in related healthcare field required.
*Expert working knowledge of HIPAA, PHI and all laws relative to access and release of medical records/PHI (Protected health Information).
*RHIA, CCS preferred\
RHIT required, RHIA preferred
*Proficiency with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and Office applications such as Word, Excel.
RHIT with 8 + years experience in Health Information Management acute care academic hospital setting required. RHIA with 8+ years in Health Information Management acute care academic hospital setting preferred.
*Ability to set priorities, problem solve, use proper judgment in difficult situations and be flexible.
*Able to communicate clearly both written and verbally. Able to maintain positive and productive relationships with internal and external teams and customers.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.