Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Department: 862 - Surgery
Requisition Number: NR14-1656478
The Surgeon's Assistant will assist in surgical operations under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. The Surgeon's Assistant will prepare the operating room and patient prior to surgery and may assist the surgeon during the procedures. The Surgeon's Assistant will perform support activities in the Unit as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs "scrub" assignment according to established guidelines, including gowning and gloving procedure.
2. Applies principles and practices of asepsis. Maintains and monitors aseptic technique at all times and institutes corrective measures in the event of contamination.
3. Distributes processed instrument sets, equipment and supplies in appropriate work and storage area.
4. Sets up sterile instrument table and prepares supplies according to type of operation.
5. Assists in draping of patient and operative area according to need. Observes and protects patient by correct positioning, application of restraint, strict aseptic practice and maintenance of aseptic environment.
6. Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon for instruments, sutures, sponges, and supplies according to knowledge of procedural requirements and constant monitoring of progress.
7. Maintains correct count of sponges, needles, and instruments with the circulating nurse and report correctness of discrepancies according to established policy and procedure.
8. Discards soiled materials in appropriate receptacle, decontaminate all equipment, instruments, and reusable supplies and cleans room as prescribed.
9. Maintains and cares for all specimens as directed to prevent loss or damage.
10. Assists in room clean up and makes preparations for next procedure.
11. Mixes medicated solution at the sterile field, only under the direct supervision of the Medical Director dispensing the medication.
12. Shows medication label to person administering the medication. Announces in an audible voice the name, concentration, amount and route of administration of the medication.
13. Attends quality assurance meetings to monitor quality outcomes.
14. Participates in ordering supplies and necessary equipment to maintain effective operations. Attends ongoing staff development as assigned to maintain appropriate knowledge and skills.
15. Adheres to dress code in accordance with departmental policy.
Successful completion of a Surgical Technician program. Certification in OR Technology from the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting preferred
Some experience in ambulatory, surgery operating room setting preferred.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.