Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Sterile Processing Associate III
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Department: 181 - Sterile Process
Requisition Number: NR14-1640472
SPD Technician III are multi-skilled personnel who are responsible and accountable for all duties related to cleaning and decontamination of general and specialty surgical instruments, power equipment, endoscopes, and sterilization; the preparation, packaging of general and two specialty surgical services; quality control testing and monitoring of sterilization equipment, maintaining records, and preparation and dispatch of surgical cases. The level III technician must have knowledge of surgical instrumentation and the ability to work independently with little supervision. The level III technician must be able to assemble surgical trays in four specialty services. They may perform assigned duties such as answering phones, cleaning, stocking, transporting, and dispensing supplies and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Demonstrates knowledge of decontamination, disinfection and cleaning methods. Exhibits knowledge in determining the methods to be used to care for instruments: hand washing, mechanical washing or disinfection, especially in removal of protein and corrosion. Thoroughly disassembles instruments and equipment for cleaning and ensures all bio-burden material is removed. Inspects important points in instruments and equipment to ensure they are functioning properly and there is no damage. Operates and troubleshoots cleaning equipment. Maintains OSHA safety standards.
2. Demonstrates knowledge of preparation and assembly, inspection and packaging of general and two specialty instrument services. Selects and inspects all the required instruments for each set used in the OR; arranges them in the proper sequence and in a manner for effective sterilization; adds the sterilization integrator, adds the assembly list, wraps, seals, and/or containerize; labels each set appropriately. Thoroughly inspects all instruments for sharpness, functionality and integrity. Utilizes resources available to replace faulty/missing instruments and/or contacts the Instrument Coordinator for replacement.
3. Demonstrates knowledge of sterilization processes, documentation, storage, and delivery of sterile packages. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding by explanation of the function and operation of all sterilization processes as well as understands the sterilizer mechanical/chemical indicators.
4. Effectively enters, modifies and searches information in the instrument tracking system. Accurately incorporates the scanning of all tasks, transactions and sets processed into the daily record.
5. Incorporates infection control guidelines during the transferring, storing and transporting of sterile packages.
6. Demonstrates knowledge in preparation and dispatch of surgical cases. Use of the Horizon Surgical Manager program to upload and download operating room schedules. Exhibit knowledge in correct identification of medical/surgical supplies and pick the right quantity and the right medical/surgical supplies according to preference cards. Get tray printout to accompany picked cases, sign preference cards, accurately label case carts with building ID, Room #, surgeon's name, and deliver cases to the operating room.
High school diploma or equivalent. Requires knowledge of reading, writing, and math normally acquired through high school education.
Current certification (CRCST) required
Demonstrates ability to work well with others as part of a team.
Good communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and do basic mathematical calculations.
Position requires flexible work schedule, weekends and holidays.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.