Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Patient Care Associate
Full/Part Time: Part Time
Department: 713 - Transplant-GP9C
Requisition Number: NR14-1613334
Responsible for patient care and support activities, promoting patient focused care within the unit or care center. Assists patient in activities of daily living, collecting specimens and performing procedures, maintaining a safe, clean environment. Other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs and maintains records of patient's vital signs, such as blood pressure, pulse, temperature and respiration. Documents intake and output.
2. Performs specimen collection, and assists the RN in performing clinical procedures, such as venipuncture, physical exams, EKG, venodyn boots, post-mortem care, and maintenance of skin integrity. Sets up for selected procedures.
3. Assists patient with activities of daily living such as feeding, bathing, and/or toileting. Orients patients to the unit / care center environment. Assists patient in walking independently or with a walker.
4. Assists with dietary functions, including delivering and collecting patient trays at bedside, providing menus and assisting patients with menu completion, mixing nutritional supplements, reporting variations in dietary status to RN or Dietician, and maintaining accurate and timely systems for transmission of dietary orders and changes.
5. Maintains a safe, clean and functional environment, ensuring for comfortable movement of the patient. Backs up the Support Associate in patient room maintenance, such as bed-stripping and trash removal.
6. Performs one-to-one observation of patients on special observation status, e.g. safety, elopement, or suicide prevention.
7. Under direction of an RN, and according to set procedures, will maintain isolation status and mechanical safeguards for patients.
8. Answers call system and refers to appropriate staff.
9. Delivers and collects trays at bedside, and delivers flowers.
10. Transports patients on stretchers or wheelchairs, as required.
11. Operates the pneumatic tube system when required.
12. Greets visitors and answers telephones promptly and couteously. Escorts visitors to appropriate area, when necessary. Provides information and makes referrals when appropriate.
13. Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or GED
3-9 months of health care experience preferred.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.