Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Clinical Nurse Manager
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 851 - Geriatrics/Adult Dev
Requisition Number: NR13-1563990
The Clinical Nurse Manager is responsible for the management of nursing practice and operations on a designated unit/service. This includes, but is not limited to, the management of: clinical nursing practice, staff recruitment, retention, labor relations, supply chain and budget, staffing, employee performance evaluation, quality improvement, staff education, medical records, internal and external regulatory and survey requirements.
The Clinical Nurse Manager collaborates with multiple professionals to support and coordinate the provision / management of patient care. He or she works closely with the Nursing Clinical Director, Physician Leader and staff in insuring that the Service/Unit maintains the highest standards of patient care and is responsive to the needs of the patient & family as well as the organization.
The Clinical Nurse Manager is the Nursing Leader of their designated unit / service. The CNM has the ability to create and empower teams to embrace and implement change that will improve the clinical, operational, and financial performance
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. CLINICAL LEADERSHIP:
Develops, implements, and maintains professional and hospital standards to support outcome-based care and evidence-based nursing practice.
2. Ensures that the overall management program supports patient, unit and clinical service objective, patient management, and excellence in the delivery of patient care services.
3. Develops, implements and oversees a unit-based quality initiatives program that promotes both clinical and financial excellence.
4. Provides operational and clinical oversite to nursing staff and ensures that all day to day activity supports clinical excellence.
5. Works closely with leadership throughout the Service, Nursing Department and other hospital departments to ensure that the highest expectations of all regulatory and professional standards are met.
6. Demonstrates integral involvement in the Nursing Department PI/QA program. Participates in monthly Nursing Department meetings.
7. Facilitates daily Interdisciplinary Rounds to ensure compliance with the patient management plan and the appropriate length of stay for each patient.
8. Conducts daily rounds with patients on the unit/service.
9. Maintains, reviews, and updates all specialty policies in accordance with hospital, professional and regulatory standards.
10. Supports the overall strategic goals of the Hospital and the Nursing Department.
11. Creates and maintains an environment of care where patients, families, staff and others are treated with respect, dignity and in a professional manner, promoting an environment respectful of cultural diversity.
12. Assesses patient care needs and monitors patient satisfaction. Addresses and resolves patient complaints in timely manner.
13. Identifies, responds to and investigates potential and actual risk management issues.
Coordinates patient care delivery. Maintains environmental safety. Maintains orderly flow of admissions and discharges. Coordinates activities and interacts effectively with other departments and medical staff to manage the patient care environment.
15. Manages unit/service staffing to ensure a safe, appropriate staffing plan to all personnel.
16. Conducts unit/service Nursing staff meetings monthly or more frequently as needed and communicates discussion via minutes to staff.
17. Supports the clinical leadership in the development of interdisciplinary and nursing standards relevant to scope of practice. Provides unit/service environment that encourages a team culture and response to the provision of patient care services.
18. Encourages and facilitates professional growth and development of staff. Facilitates flow of information from other departments to staff.
19. Promotes a positive environment that encourages staff to participate in the identification of areas of opportunity for improvement in patient care and all related processes.
20. MANAGEMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES AND STAFF DEVELOPMENT:
a. Insures that personnel issues are managed in compliance with contractual agreements and supports positive employee-management relationships.
21. Collaborates with other nursing and hospital leaders to promote professional development of nursing staff.
22. Evaluates staff performance on an ongoing basis and completes staff performance appraisals in a timely manner. Provides recognition of exemplary employee performance and also provides employee counseling/progressive discipline as necessary.
23. Insures all personnel are appropriately credentialed, competent and complete ongoing educational programs are required.
24. Ensures that staff are afforded opportunities for professional growth and development that support both new and existing programs of care.
25. Collaborates with the Nursing Education staff in identifying and prioritizing educational needs of the nursing department staff.
26. Works closely with the Nursing Assistant Administrators to ensure the continuation of integrated services in support of overall program objectives on evening and night shifts and weekends/holidays.
27. Supports nursing education and preceptorship, providing an optimal learning environment for nursing staff and affiliated students.
28. Maintains currency in memberships in nursing and health related professional organizations.
29. Participates in hospital committees and other forums, advancing both professional nursing practice and the patient unit/services.
30. Remains current in legislative, ethical, regulatory and clinical practice issues.
31. Attends continuing education forums and obtains CEUs in nursing or health-related topics.
32. Encourages scholarship and research within the development of evidence-based nursing practice, promoting a spirit of inquiry among nursing staff.
BSN, Master's Degree in Nursing or health related field.
Minimum of three years of progressive nursing leadership experience demonstrating solid management abilities.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.