Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
IT Director MSDW
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Department: 289 - Bus Trans/dec Sppt
Requisition Number: 14-1638610
The Director of the Mount Sinai Data Warehouse (MSDW) is responsible for the vision and daily operation of the MSDW. The Director will develop a long-term plan for the sustainability of the warehouse integrating the needs of researchers and clinicians spanning the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the Mount Sinai Health System. The Director will also ensure that the MSDW is reliable, secure and flexible delivering daily services to its users. The Director will manage the staff who are dedicated to the development, upkeep and integrity of data warehouses. The Director will prepare and manage the budget. The Director will manage multiple priorities and short term plans for the group to balance a variety of data sourcing, migration, quality, data analysis, design, and implementation projects. Based on emerging trends throughout the industry and at other leading medical centers and schools, the Director will integrate new technologies and approaches as needed. The Director will bring a customer service focus to all interactions and foster this culture within the group.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Directs the utilization of MSDW resources and plans, designs, and implements organization wide information systems and technologies.
2. Assigns and coordinates the work of MSDW staff, contractors and vendors. Provides overall technical leadership within a structure that is consistently expanding through organization wide system development and departmental utilization of microcomputers.
3. Manages the day-to-day operations of the MSDW and implements necessary system modifications at a minimum cost and effort. Remains current with technological advances and be able to apply them where applicable.
4. Coordinates the planning, design, implementation, and technical support of MSDW.
5. Directs the development of the MSDW operating budget and maintains necessary controls to assure compliance with budgeted expenses, resources, and staff projections.
6. Responsible for the development of MSDW systems standards (databases, applications) policies and procedures.
7. Responsible for development and implementation of MSDW security and disaster recovery plans.
8. Encourage staff development including hiring and performance reviews.
9. Coordinates, develops, and executes program for continual measurement and improvement of the MSDW for optimal performance and effectiveness.
10. Ensures the provision of a cost effective MSDW. Anticipate developments in fields of healthcare and research data warehouses. Write recommendations for management review of enhancements to existing and new systems through ongoing review.
11. Completes required continuous training and education, including department specific requirements and encourages staff to do the same. Refreshes technical skills and keeps track of emerging trends.
12. Maintains yearly compliance with the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Understands and updates knowledge of HIPAA compliance and requires staff to do the same.
13. Participates in the national data warehouse healthcare and research community through presentations and papers. Assists with research proposals.
14. Brings a customer service focus to all interactions, especially with our diverse user base.
15. Supports and maintains on call schedule.
16. Writes and prepare manuscripts and presentations for internal and external audiences.
17. Performs other related duties.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical degree; Advanced degree preferred.
7 years of progressive technical management experience preferably in a health care and research field.Special skills include systems development and planning, systems integration and networking.
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
Excellent organizational and analytical skills
Excellent time and project management skills
Demonstrated financial management skills
Proven leadership and management skills
Ability to critically evaluate and troubleshoot complex problems
Ability to communicate and interact with a wide variety of individuals
Attention to details
Special skills include systems development and planning, systems integration and networking.
Has Contact with External Public? 1 (yes)
If yes, please explain:
Vendors and contractors
Level of Physical Activity Required: 1 Light
Describe Work Environment
(e.g. office, outdoors)
General office setting
(this should also be included in the Duties and Responsibilities section)
Budget Dollar Value? $0.00
Must Develop Budget? 1 (yes)
Responsible for EE Evaluations and Performance Programs? 1 (yes)
Involved with EE Disciplinary or Labor Relations Activities? 1 (yes)
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.