Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 037 - Endocrinology
Requisition Number: 13-1579668
Under the direction of the Director of Clinical Nutrition, act as an internal part of the health care team. Assess the nutritional needs of patients and plans for the provision of appropriate nutrition as it pertains to the patient's nutritional needs. Provide nutritional counseling to patients as needed. The registered dietitian is responsible for activities that support patient focused care within their assigned patient units. These include but are not limited to: responding promptly to nutrition consults, providing nutritional care which includes nutrition assessment, evaluation of response to diet therapies, providing diet education and nutrition information to patients' and/or patients; families as per department policies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Evaluate and assess patient's nutritional status, review and plan care around prescribed/suggested therapeutic diet.
2. Evaluate and record in patient's chart nutritional status based on dietary intake information, laboratory values, tests, anthropometric measures, clinical signs and other sources when applicable.
3. Suggest appropriate feeding modalities such as enteral or parenteral feedings to enhance the patient's nutritional status.
4. Provide diet therapy recommendations and initiate changes when appropriate and according to procedure.
5. Work with patient unit staff to ensure menus are prepared in accordance to procedure and/or recommendations.
6. Instruct groups, patients and/or patient family members in regards to diet therapy to be used during and after hospitalization. Participate in developping various educational materials
7. Participate as a member of the patient care team, including rounds and discussion of patient treatment plans. Confer with care team members and house officers on orders. Respond to consults, questions and discuss problems.
8. Provide follow-up patient care and intervention as needed or per departmental guidelines.
9. Develop and participate in quality improvement initiatives for the Department of Clinical Nutrition and the Care Center both for specific patients and families as well as quality improvement initiatives for the overall population.
10. Work with other patient unit staff to recommend and develop plans regarding length of stay and/or expense reduction.
11. Maintain and enhance professional skills by participating in Department of Clinical Nutrition' educational programs as well as maintaning external resources
12. Provide staff development and in-services to care center personnel and newly hired patient unit staff on the principles and application nutrition, diet and related procedures. Make recommendations on new policies and procedures.
13. Precept dietetic interns and instruct them on specific duties as applied to their assigned rotation. Provide evaluations on students for the next preceptor so that competencies that need improvement may be identified and addressed in a timely manner.
14. Responsible to the Director of Clinical Nutrition in the demonstration of conformity to all legal, regulatory agencies and Department of Clinical Nutrition policies, procedures and guideline requirements.
15. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree with concentration in nutrition or dietetics. Master's degree preferred.
Concentration in Food and Nutrition from an accredited institution with an approved plan from the American Dietetic Association.
>30 hours continuing education hours (CEU) accumulated in specialty area in portfolio
Certification: Registered Dietitian (RD) from the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CRD) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Licensed: Certified Dietitian Nutritionist (CDN) from the NYS education department preferred, not required.
Must be a CDE or working to receive CDE certification. Must receive CDE certification within first year of employement if canidate does not have CDE.
2-4 years of progressive experience
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.