Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Pathology Assistant II
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 847 - Pathology
Requisition Number: 13-1566730
The Pathologist Assistant II assists the pathologist in the receipt, preparation and examination of surgical tissue specimens and autopsies. Assures that all specimens are appropriately logged, processed and disposed of in a timely and safe manner.
The Pathologists' Assistant (PA) is a highly trained allied health professional who assists the pathologist in the preparation and examination of surgical specimens, as well as the performance of postmortem examinations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in the preparation and performance of surgical specimen dissection and gross description. Obtains clinical history, lab data, x-rays and scans as appropriate. Describes gross features of surgical specimens and prepares tissues for processing for light microscopy. Obtains samples for special studies such as flow cytometry, image analysis, research, cytogenetics, cultures, electron microscopy and immunofluorescence. Photographs gross specimens.
2. Coordinates and/or performs gross description and dissection of surgical specimens and postmortem examinations. Instructs and monitors performance of staff that process and dissect biopsy specimens and non-complex surgical specimens.
3. Coordinates Frozen Section Room activities; assists in the Frozen Section Room. Performs special procedures including frozen section slide preparation and triage of tissue for tumor bank and appropriate studies.
4. Assists the pathologist in the preparation and performance of human postmortem examination. Assures legal authorization for autopsy, obtains medical records/charts for review, consults with attending pathologist to identify special techniques to be utilized during the examination, prepares tissues for light microscopy processing and special studies, and prepares the preliminary summarization of the clinical history.
5. Assures that all specimens are accurately accessioned.
6. Gathers data and prepares statistical reports such as turnaround time and data analysis.
7. Provides instruction to pathology residents and surgical fellows on appropriate gross description and technique.
8. Performs other related duties, including maintenance of surgical/autopsy pathology protocols.
Master of Health Science degree
1 year surgical grossing and autopsy experience
American Society for Clinical Pathology Certification (ASCP) as a Pathologist's Assistant preferred
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of gross pathology and anatomy
Excellent organizational skills
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.