Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Offsite Lead Medical Technologist
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Hewlett (Long Island)
Department: C12 - Hewlett Laboratory
Requisition Number: 14-1639132
The Offsite Lead Medical Technologist is responsible for the daily run of the Clinical Laboratory including the evening shift. The Lead Technologist is responsible to make sure that the specimens are handle properly to and obtaining accuracy patient identification and reliability of all patients' results. Under his/her supervision, both patient and Q.C. material; are performed accurately for providers interpretation and in a timely manner. Assures the delivery of quality department /clinical services in accordance with established Mount Sinai and regulatory/accreditation agency standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assures the delivery of quality department /clinical services in accordance with established institution and regulatory/accreditation agency standards.
2. Responsible and accountable for the overall operations of the Chemistry/Phlebotomy Departments. Overall operations of the department include development of department goals and objectives that are consistent with the institution mission, the management of personnel, preparing/monitoring of and accountability for the department budgets.
3. Assures employee compliance with institution policies and procedures
4. Assures that employee competency and education requirements are satisfied as per institution policy and regulatory agencies.
5. Assures the provision of a safe employee/patient environment.
6. Maintains knowledge related to the operations of the departments.
7. Works collaboratively with all levels of institution interdisciplinary team and promotes the team concept within their department.
8. Trains and assists technologists with specialized tests; interprets results for physicians and advises on follow-up tests, as needed.
9. Demonstrates positive customer service, fosters positive employee relations and assures that staff adheres to the Customer Service Standards.
10. Is supportive of institution initiatives and projects and functions as a positive change agent.
11. Promotes a positive and professional image and are a role model, coach, mentor and resource for staff and peers.
12. Reviews all technical and validation procedures performed in areas of responsibility and maintain explanation of such in manual form.
13. Prepares and submits Laboratory Quality Assurance, Accreditations, and Safety reports as per department policy.
14. Writes and revises all section procedure manuals as needed.
15. Prepare and approve section payroll and orders chemistry supplies as needed.
16. Evaluates and implements new instrumentation and methodologies.
17. Ensures that maintenance procedures are performed as needed and are well documented.
18. Performs technical duties as needed.
19. Monitors turn-around-time for applicable Chemistry, and Reference Laboratory tests.
20. Coordinates and maintains all laboratory computer reports formats.
21. Is actively involved in assisting with the development of effective utilization of laboratory/computer software to include instrument interfacing, tests, worksheets and report formatting.
22. Troubleshoots instrument malfunction when needed.
23. Maintains effective communication within and outside the Laboratory Department.
24. Interviews, hires, evaluate, counsels and terminate employees as per Mount Sinai policy.
25. Conducts monthly staff meetings to update staff and/or address department issues and records meeting minutes for all staff.
26. Utilizes multiple methodologies to communicate information.
27. Complies with all institution policies and OSHA regulations related to safety, cleanliness and infection control.
28. Performs other ancillary duties as directed by competent authority.
BS, in medical technologist from an accredited institution, must meet Testing Personnel qualifications for high complexity testing as defined per CLIA
Clinical Laboratory Technologist preferred
5 years minimum experience and able to work in all areas of the lab, previous supervisory experience and ASCP/NYSDH a Plus.
* Knowledge, Skills and Abilities - Broad knowledge of tests performed and equipment utilized in the laboratory.
* Ability to deal with confidential information with the utmost discretion. Interpersonal skill necessary to deal courteously and effectively with administration, peers and the public.
* Sufficient technical ability to be able to troubleshoot independently and knowledge to know when to ask for assistance.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.