Interested in this position? Send this job link to your e-mail account and apply from your tablet, laptop or desktop computer.
Medical Administrative Assistant
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: Mount Sinai Medical Center (Manhattan)
Department: 871 - Cardiothoracic Surg
Requisition Number: 13-1535796
Provides secretarial and clinical support to Physicians & Surgeons and performs administrative duties necessary to deliver quality patient care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. May schedule appointments for patients.
2. Take detailed clinical phone messages for physician or advanced allied healthcare provider.
3. Acquire insurance authorizations for procedures and tests ordered by attending physician.
4. May enter orders into the electronic medical record (EMR) system or prepare prescription refill requests on behalf of the physician for the review and approval by the ordering physician.
5. Maintain logging system as required for tracking test results.
6. Assist in the maintenance of medical charts and/or electronic medical record (filing, Op Reports, test results, home care forms).
7. May schedule surgeries/procedures or work in conjunction with Surgical Coordinator verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admissions and consent forms as necessary.
8. Retrieve physician correspondence from dictation service, edit where necessary.
9. May be responsible for Medical Assistant duties if qualified, such as performing venipuncture and/or EKGs, checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room, assisting patients as needed with walking, transferring and dressing, as well as collecting and processing specimens and point of care testing, preparing for exam, etc. May assist physicians with various procedures, takes vital signs, relays instructions to patients and or families; answers calls and provides pertinent information.
10. Prepare physicians' mail correspondence.
11. Compile documents for surgical billing packages
12. May maintain, adjust and confirm patient office schedule.
13. Help direct patient flow during practice hours.
14. Participate in revenue cycle processes.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Associates Degree or High School Diploma/GED plus two years of related experience.
Graduate of a Medical Assistant Program if performing clinical duties.
Certified Medical Assistant required if performing Medical Assistant duties
3 years of related experience.
Mount Sinai Medical Center is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We recognize the power and importance of a diverse employee population and strongly encourage applicants with various experiences and backgrounds. Mount Sinai Medical Center--An EEO/AA-D/V Employer.